Belgian Porter - Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophead

Reaction score
Reading a post by Warren where he blended a porter and a Belgian ale has me intrigued.

I would like to make a porter/stout with a belgian ale yeast. Has anyone tried anything similar?

I have the following available WLP 500, WLP 550, WLP 570. Any sugestions as to which might be best for this?

Thanks

Hophead

Hophead said:
Reading a post by Warren where he blended a porter and a Belgian ale has me intrigued.

I would like to make a porter/stout with a belgian ale yeast. Has anyone tried anything similar?

I have the following available WLP 500, WLP 550, WLP 570. Any sugestions as to which might be best for this?

Thanks

Hophead
[post="90011"][/post]​

I have one exactly as you want in the secondary at present. If I have time over the weekend I'll post the recipe for you.

It uses Wyeast Canadian Belgian yeast.

Steve

Thanks

I was half expecting someone to come up with a really good reason why not to.

I will give it a go. Probably with the WLP500 as I find its flavours more pronounced, so more likely to contribute in the face of the dark malts.

Chiller I would be interested is seeing the recipe if you get a chance

Cheers

Hophead

Hophead.

What I actually did come from the fact I seriously stuffed up a Belgian dark strong ale (too alcoholic/hot in flavour). I just thought that blending them in the keg with some Porter would basicaly salvage the beer.

In the end it worked quite well. Made a very interesting Porter. :beerbang:

Warren -

Back