Belgian IPA and post ferm process

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal.p

Reaction score
Hi,
I finished brewing 2 x 10l batches of Strong's Belgian IPA. I used a 1l starter of Wyeast 3787 for one and a 1l starter of Wyeast 3522 for the other. They have been fermenting for almost 2 days at about 18-20c. Strong says to start at 17 and raise to 24 by the finish. I'm using a crate with ice bricks so I don't have fine control. The question is when should I start raising the temp to 24c? Is it usually a four day ferment?

This was my first crack at AG and I squeezed 5.6 kg of grain and 34l of water into a Brau 20l. It seemed to work ok, thus far, as the target OG of 1064 was hit. I accidentally sent a couple of litres of wort down the drain but I topped up post-boil with about 2l. So I ended up with 19l in fermenters rather than 25l: 6l seems a lot to be short by.

I read too much about the following. So if you have experience doing something similar please let me know. Can I dry hop (before/after ferm?), isinglass, and bulk prime in primary prior to bottling? Any thoughts on dry hop method for this: hop tea,hop sack, throw in. And can I bulk prime by dissolving sugar and then throwing in when cooled to room temp?

Thanks!

Hi,
best to Dry hop toward the end of fermentation,
I wold also add a few points with some Belgian candy to bring up to about a app 1070 OG
I would let it go completely ( no more than 26 or so) after a few days of vigorous fermet
maybe use gelatin if bottling,
and if you have a fridge,
crash cool it for a t least 48 hours at close to zero before moving it around

Observe bthe krausen. When it starts to fall a little (meaning primary fermenation is pretty much over) bump up the temp. Hold until the the krausen falls right off then crash chill

I am doing one right now. Two in fact one with Brett. Troubadour Magma clones.

Toss dry hops in lose. Timing is a personal preference, I go at the 3 day mark.

Temperatures. I started about 22 have ramped up to 25.

Candi. Add to the fermenter once the gravity of the wort has dropped by the amount you will increase by adding the candi. Dissolve in boiling water.

If bulk priming I would have an addition vessel add the dissolved sugar and rack the beer onto it, then bottle from that.

Cheers Steve

Thanks for the tips guys.

I've taken the ice bricks out so the temp is close to 22c now. I'll try to keep it there for the 3rd day and then try to keep it at 24c for the 4th day...and additional if needed. An wait for the krausen to drop...it's not been too vigorous at 18-20...and then icebath crash...hah!

And hops in tomorrow!

From what I've read they may need to be conditioned for quite a while. Room temp ferm OK for the bottles?

neal.p said:
From what I've read they may need to be conditioned for quite a while. Room temp ferm OK for the bottles?
Yes. I suggest stubbies for bottling.

That way you can periodically have a taste.

They can really hit their straps 12 to 18 months, and longer.
Room temp is OK. Just no very hot conditions like sheds.

You should get a good result.

And you really want a low final gravity. so let it finish and dry right out before you bottle, don't go too early.

sinkas said:
Hi,
best to Dry hop toward the end of fermentation,
I wold also add a few points with some Belgian candy to bring up to about a app 1070 OG
I would let it go completely ( no more than 26 or so) after a few days of vigorous fermet
maybe use gelatin if bottling,
and if you have a fridge,
crash cool it for a t least 48 hours at close to zero before moving it around
Hey Sinkas good to see you posting again

Great tip on the candi

Never used gelatin never had too but each to their own

Go the Dockers

Back