Belgian Dubbel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsb

Worth waiting for
Reaction score
Got my first Dubbel planned. Going to make my own Candi Syrup based on this:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopi...=30&t=16473

Seems as good as any method I've seen and I'd rather try and Invert sugar if I'm going to add it.

Anyway, I normally Step mash (HERMS) and use Temp (Rest):
58(10) - 63(10) - 67(40) - 72(10) - 78(10)

Should I bring that 67C rest down to 64C to dry it out, or will the 660g Candi Syrup (which I'm planning to add to primary from Day 3 onwards) do the job for me and just leave my 'standard' step mash as is?

Any other thoughts on my grain bill? It's my own rather than a clone as such. Thinking a pinch of cardamom might end up in there too.

Thanks, from a Belgian virgin, just like Tintin lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[codebox]

Style: Belgian Dubbel

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 41.30 l

Post Boil Volume: 29.94 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l

Bottling Volume: 22.16 l

Estimated OG: 1.066 SG

Estimated Color: 16.8 SRM

Estimated IBU: 24.0 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 80.6 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.50 kg Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM) Grain 1 74.2 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
0.25 kg Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.4 %
0.25 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %
0.25 kg Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM) Grain 5 3.4 %
60.00 g Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop 6 24.0 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 Yeast 8 -
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 9 -
0.66 kg Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 10 8.9 %

Total Grain Weight: 7.41 kg[/codebox]

If you can step, try a hochkurz type mash - both beta and alpha. I have found my better belgians get the full flavoured, dextrinous mouthfeel with good attenuation and dry finish.

Something like 62-63 for 15 and 68-70 for the remainder. You can alternatively start higher for 10-20, then knock down but that's something I've only heard about, not tried.

Theoretically too long at the low rest runs the risk of leaving nothing for the alpha amylase.

Also my experience and reading suggests that adding sugar in increments after FG is reached will less likely lead to fusel development etc (rather than all at once in either the boil or after FG).

Thanks manticle, that's a great help. I'll work something like 62(15) 69(45) for the main mash. I'm happy to mash and boil long for this one, an extra hour on the day is no drama compared to the time it takes to ferment/age/drink.
I'll drip feed that sugar (candi syrup) too, definitely not all at once or i think i might be scraping it off the inside of the fridge a day later :D
Cheers :icon_cheers:

*I remembered and found your other post on step mashing, I'll refer there - thanks again.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=62204

Maybe I'll try that one in that case, thanks. It looks a lot quicker! Can waste some sugar trying it at worst, I also have Wyeast nutrient, not DAP.
Shaping up nicely.

The DAP (yeast nutrient) acts as a catalyst in developing melanoidens so if you have some it will help the darkening and development of flavours. I haven't read the links but I've done it a few times and the last time I added a touch of treacle to it when it was nearly dark enough to get that last bit of darkness as well as for flavour.

I did a double batch of a dark strong where one half had clear candi sugar and the other had the dark made with dap, citric acid and treacle. The difference is quite interesting and they both turned out very well dispite being quite different.

Latest posts

Back