Belgian Candi Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmyummybeer

Reaction score
Just purchased a bottle of Dark Candi Syrup (157 EBC) and was thinking of using it in a Belgian Pale Ale. Does anyone have any recommendations on how much I need to use for a 22L batch. What are the thoughts on it is it worth it ??
Cheers

Maybe a bit out of style for a pale, perhaps you should have gone for the clear instead?

I agree . It would be cheaper to use Some Special B or Caraaroma
if you wanted to slightly darken the colour, rather tahn using Dark Candi Syrup.

If it were a Dark Belgian Ale I would use the whole container, depending on size.
I used a US 1 LB bottle in my Dark Ale.

Regards

Graeme

Im feeding a strong dark Belgian ale with the dark sugar at the moment, even after the first 50ml it sent the brew very dark, so cant imagine it will help a pale ale out as far as style goes. Save the dark and use it for something else, and just make up some clear inverted sugar.

Just purchased a bottle of Dark Candi Syrup (157 EBC) and was thinking of using it in a Belgian Pale Ale. Does anyone have any recommendations on how much I need to use for a 22L batch. What are the thoughts on it is it worth it ??
Cheers

Like the others said, not in a pale ale.

Why buy candi syrup? Its very easy to make at home, there are plenty of references around this forum. I amde some for a dark belgian ale, and it finished up very nice.

Like the others said, not in a pale ale.

Why buy candi syrup? Its very easy to make at home, there are plenty of references around this forum. I amde some for a dark belgian ale, and it finished up very nice.

In my opinion the taste and aroma of the Belgian Candi Syrup is much more complex than what can be achieved by making it yourself.

have you tried the Belgian Candi Syrup?

Regards

Graeme

I haven't used or scene any before now and I'm not too concerned with keeping with style. I just thought if I add it too a lighter beer I might get more idea of what flavour it adds and if the flavour changes when it ferments. Tastes a bit like maple syrup and treacle at the moment but interested in the flavours in the finished beer. But as it is still a light coloured beer I might just add only a little and see what happens.

In my opinion the taste and aroma of the Belgian Candi Syrup is much more complex than what can be achieved by making it yourself.

have you tried the Belgian Candi Syrup?

Regards

Graeme

I have tried it and it is very complex. Now that I've encountered that though I will be experimenting with trying to replicate it at home. It is just sugar so there must be a way and there's a few guides out there with different approaches. Too damn expensive to keep buying IF I can replicate it. Worth the money IF I can't.

@OP

You can add it to whatever you want but it won't be pale anymore. If that doesn't trouble you, then go by desired ABV and add in the appropriate weight. I've had more success adding a couple hundred grams at a time after primary over a few days (between 600 and 800 total) I 've found in the past that adding all your sugar in at once (depending on exactly how much) can stress the yeast and produce hot alcohol flavours.

Back