Belgian Beers In Belgium

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Howdy,
With a bit of luck I could be off to Germany later on this year. If do i will have to make a visit to Belgium.
Just curious, are Belgian beers expensive in Belgium or is it just transport and excise that makes them expensive here?
cheers
Darren

yeah you guessed right, it's transport and excise.

over there you can get rochefort 10 from your corner shop for $3 or so(or at least you could when i was last there)....at bars it's a bit more.
chimay is cheap as chips (but worth avoiding for all the other good stuff around). people drink rodenbach like it's VB. duvel is usually the cheapest alc vs $ beer in any given place.
you should get hold of tim webb's CAMRA beer guide to Belgium and Holland for heaps of good places to go and great beers to seek out.

also in germany beer is really cheap in the supermarkets and bottleos but pricier when you get someone to pour it.

Hiya Darren

They're pretty much like any other country. Drink at a cafe, brasserie etc. You'll pay some pretty variable prices that don't differ much from what the costs are in Oz. Some fair, some high some just down right ridiculous

However if you're lucky enough to have a barfridge in your apartment/hotel room. The good old Belgian Supermarch has most of the desirable brands at prices that will make you cry and want to fill two trolleys. Example would be a bottle of Corsendonk or Maredsous for about 80 euro cents or thereabouts. :super:

Imagine going to a liquor dept. of supermarket and having about 400 beers to choose from. :rolleyes:

Just look for some of the bigger supermarkets if you choose this road. You can go to some of the touristy beer shops like the Bier Tempel, get a brilliant selection and be overcharged somewhat. However these places rock for beer glasses.

That said cafes will cost more but you're getting the whole experinece from a tourist perspective as opposed to being huddled up in your room. B)

Warren -

Hi there,
Make sure to try the green labelled Duvel Special brew(Festive season brew). It may only be available the disctrict of the Duvel Brewery, but if not, and you are late in the year you should be able to get some...really good.

Cheers

Case

sinkas said:
Hi there,
Make sure to try the green labelled Duvel Special brew(Festive season brew). It may only be available the disctrict of the Duvel Brewery, but if not, and you are late in the year you should be able to get some...really good.

Cheers

Case
[post="56442"][/post]​
Is that different from the normal green labelled Duvel, which I understood to be just the filtered version of the red label?

Latest posts

Back