Beginner Kegging Set-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt89

Reaction score
So 4 brews into this lovely hobby I am totally over bottling and want to get into Kegging, for Christmas I have gotten a $250 voucher for my LHBS (score :p) they sell a set up with 1xkeg reg lines and connects and Pluto gun for $410 but after comparing to eBay prices seems steep? Just wondering what I should be looking for? I'm not fussed to much on a fancy tap or gun but with this voucher I dunno whether to use it on that or just spend it on ingredients
Any help is appreciated and Merry Christmas!
P.s ball or pin?

So 4 brews into this lovely hobby I am totally over bottling and want to get into Kegging, for Christmas I have gotten a $250 voucher for my LHBS (score :p) they sell a set up with 1xkeg reg lines and connects and Pluto gun for $410 but after comparing to eBay prices seems steep? Just wondering what I should be looking for? I'm not fussed to much on a fancy tap or gun but with this voucher I dunno whether to use it on that or just spend it on ingredients
Any help is appreciated and Merry Christmas!
P.s ball or pin?
Definately ball mate....
As for your kegs...well if you have the cash to buy elsewhere ( like evilbay ) , i would and use the voucher for ingredients !
Cheers
Ferg

Is there any type of reg I should stay away from? Any do's and dont's or known 'not worth it' parts/brands

I can get a tesuco reg with everything and 2 ball lock kegs for around 250 on eBay

tesuco regs are good for the price I wouldnt go any cheaper. Your LHBS is a rip off lol sorry but I got 2 kegs, lines, john guest fittings, reg, 2 x perlick SS taps and keezer with temp control for about that price

post in here before you buy some seem good but really are not. There is alot of differences in everything. My stuff was prob bought from 6 different places as I wanted a good product but at a good price.

how much are you willing to spend and how long are you willing to make??

You could use the voucher to buy a c02 bottle like mykegsonlegs

About 200 for the 2.6KG and 300 for the large size is normal I think. Well that's what grain and grape do.

Get your taps and shanks from farmhouse brewing in the US

check the sponsors or your other LHBS (eg keg king in springvale)

i'm still using the plastic picnic taps on my fridge front... does the job nicely, cant see the point in buying a pluto gun

Same people as mybeershop.com.au. I've had that tap and reg for 12 months without issue.
Have a think about how're your setting the tap up, the short shank isn't good for pushing through a fridge door.
not interested in that, if i ever did anything thou would be a chesty with collar

You could use the voucher to buy a c02 bottle like mykegsonlegs

About 200 for the 2.6KG and 300 for the large size is normal I think. Well that's what grain and grape do.

Get your taps and shanks from farmhouse brewing in the US
not too sure if my LHBS does co2 bottles will have to look into but a very good idea! How much do places like supagas charge to fill them?

check the sponsors or your other LHBS (eg keg king in springvale)

i'm still using the plastic picnic taps on my fridge front... does the job nicely, cant see the point in buying a pluto gun
looking on keg king atm they have some really good prices on a lot of things, thanks!

if you want to save even more, get your disconnects, tube, splitters, taps, etc from the USA - check out chicompany.net $15 postage up to 4lb ... not the regulator though as they use a different thread - i've been using the cheapest reg from ebay for ages, besides a squeaky adjuster its been faultless...

PS you'll never have enough kegs once you start... whilst some are drinking, you'll need more for conditioning ... plus a few 9L's for parties and big beers!

Same people as mybeershop.com.au. I've had that tap and reg for 12 months without issue.
Have a think about how're your setting the tap up, the short shank isn't good for pushing through a fridge door.
thru the website (instead of ebay) you save on the postage, this is looking like the way to go :)

if you want to save even more, get your disconnects, tube, splitters, taps, etc from the USA - check out chicompany.net $15 postage up to 4lb ... not the regulator though as they use a different thread - i've been using the cheapest reg from ebay for ages, besides a squeaky adjuster its been faultless...

PS you'll never have enough kegs once you start... whilst some are drinking, you'll need more for conditioning ... plus a few 9L's for parties and big beers!
haha dw i can already see the savings disappearing, 2 should be enough thou to start with also i wanna keg something before new years i got ready so US is out of the question haha :p

I hire a keg from BOC 9.5kg I think and I have had it about 13 months and havnt refilled it yet. Its about $12 a month and I think a refill is about $30??? never had it done so not to sure.

I run 2 kegs its a pain as I usually got more beer to ferment then thats on tap so they sit in cube or fermenter longer so 4 would be ideal I can deal with 2 but 4 would be great.

Back