Beginner Grain Combos

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdaust

Reaction score
Just a thought I had when I was first ordering grain from G&G last year [only just remembered it... lol]

I don't have a grain mill, and I thought it was great that all my pre-crushed grains (for a dark ale) were conveniently packed in a single bag that I could just cut open and mash.

I think it would be great if new AG brewers could be directed to a single 'product listing' on a sponsors website that contained all the grains (in correct proportions) they would need for a batch of beer. They could pick the top recipes in the Recipe DB for a few common styles (Smurto's GA etc), and all you would have to do is pick your batch size (10L, 20L, 30L, etc) and it calculates your grain weights, cost, and shipping.

Makes it much less intimidating than wondering (as a noob) if you can sub certain types of grain, not having to dig out the bathroom scales to weigh a batch.

Thoughts??

I believe its already happening. Nigel from Brew Adelaide has pre-mixed grain recipes (if that makes sense) where you can order your grain for a tried and tested brew.

I've never ordered one, but i reckon they'd be pretty good :icon_cheers:

Not sure if other shops are doing it, but i'm sure they'd be happy to assist with recipe formulation anyway...

I am about to place an order with Nigel for his new recipe packs, he is also looking to add extract & kit enhancers.
It makes like easier for those who aren't sure on what they need.
Link Brew Adelaide - No Affiliation etc...
Cheers
Robbo

Both Craftbrewer in Brisbane and Mark's Home Brew in Newcastle do mixed crushed grain packs if you want them.

That's a good idea. It could even be done to include hops, measured out in the time additions.

A bit expensive though for regular brewers. If small quantity grain buys are $5/kg, as they are at my local shops, that's $25 in grain alone, Compared to buying a full bag for $50, it would have limited appeal. Still, I can very much see this working for new brewers who don't have a mill or a pantry full of specialty grains at their disposal.

Check marks home brew website, register and then go into the "brewbuilder" program. There's a fair list of recipes of all different styles and breweries. :beer:

It seems quite popular in the US to buy bags of pre made recipes. However, if you had a brewing program and learnt how to use it you could effectively have any recipe you want dialled in for your system specifications. Sounds a bit difficult but there is free software out there and guides on how to use it.

Once you know how to use it, you can mess around with your own base recipe that you have tried and liked and then go nuts!

ive used a few of Nige's all grain recipe packs
comes with beersmith recipe printed, hops are vacuum sealed pre- weighed/marked and has 1/2 tab of whirlfloc in the 10 min addition

couldnt be easier..

edit: what i'd like is a way to save previously ordered grain bills on the online shops

Makes it much less intimidating than wondering (as a noob) if you can sub certain types of grain, not having to dig out the bathroom scales to weigh a batch.

Thoughts??

My thoughts are the best thing about AG brewing is designing your own recipes. What's intimidating about learning recipe formulation? Something you have to learn eventually unless you want other people to decide what you like.

For me, the true joy of AG is making shit up, or tweaking stuff to my tastes. YMMV

Thanks DU. Dunno what happened there.
@Jay Cee, The Brew Adelaide recipes start at $20 for everything bat yeast so pretty cheap for a batch.
Cheers
Robbo

Oh well. Seems they already exist with Mark and Nige's stores for starters.

@nick I like making up a recipe, and I use software to calculate everything, I even enjoy brewing a leftovers recipe to use up excess stuff. But I also think beginners appreciate simplifying a fw steps to begin with. I'll admit your $30 thread got me brewing ag. I had checked out ahb about 3 years earlier and decided that ag needed too much equipment to bother trying in case I didn't like it.

Edit: and brewAdelaide of course.

Back