Bee's On Brewday, Yes Bee's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen.
On my last few brew days, after the mash and just when I start boiling I have swarms of Bee's coming in from far and wide to my garage door. I guess they can smell the sweet wort boiling and zoom on in. I thought these little buggers went somewhere warm in winter, as its pretty cool here in Newcastle in.
Anyway I have not seen or read about this before, have you!

STEPHEN

Maybe it is a Newcastle thing :lol: . I have had a bee or two (never a swarm thankfully :eek: ) get very interested each time I open the mash tun, especially during recirculating. I brew outside so I bloody hope the swarm never arrives :ph34r: :lol: They usually bugger off once the mash tun is closed/the boil starts...

Shawn

Never had the bee problem, cause I brew in my garage, but I have had a very brave mouse that comes and stands at the base of my brew stand and squeaks at me every time I open the mash tun! If he wasnt showing such a keen interest in the brewing process, I would probably step on him. Dont try and step on the bee's though ;-)
Trent

I had this happen on my last 2 brews, not swarms but 1/2 a dozen bees lapping it up. Maybe the bees are starting to become active now with the slightly warmer weather and spring fast approaching. Or maybe your beer smells so good queenie sent the boys out for a six pack :p .

Cheers
Andrew

Saw quite a few bees on the weekend. First time though in many years.
In summer it is usually European wasps.
cheers
Darren

I get the occasional bee sniffing round the start of the boil, but they bugger off once they realise there's no free feed....

AndrewQLD said:
{Snipped for amusement}Or maybe your beer smells so good queenie sent the boys out for a six pack :p .

Cheers
Andrew
[post="70897"][/post]​

Whatever rows yer boat. :p :lol:

Warren -

I haven't attracted any bees yet but there is a wasps nest somewhere close by. In the warmer months I get quite a few when brewing depending on the day.
If its a barbie they definately show up. Man I cant stand wasps.

johnno

Always get them hanging around when cleaning bottles after the moisture thats around the place and also have a few hives on the place.

Well there u go. I should asks these guys about a little pure honey for a Summer Honey Ale in exchange for some nice sweet Bock wort.
There not dumb these bees.

I brewed last Saturday and also had the company of a couple of bees. They were hanging arounds pretty much as soon as the wort came to the boil. They had gotten bored and buzzed off by the end of the boil thank goodness.

Beers,
Doc

I was out at a mates property chopping and collecting firewood with my two brother-in-laws on the weekend. I took a couple of longnecks and my jug and three glasses (very civilised I know). Soon as I cracked one open we were swamped with bees. Soon as we had drunk it and put the glasses and jug back in the esky - they were gone. Odd :blink:

Cheers
Steve

I was making a cider a couple of days ago and 2 minutes after I opened the can a couple of fruitflys came about, the next thing you know there was a giant swarm on it's way, then it was time for me to put the lid on the fermenter and finish the brew indoors because of these bloody fruitflys.. first time it's happened to me though, suppose.. it's my first cider too.

There have been tests done where they put rotten fruits 10KM out to sea and fruitflys went all the way out to see to feed on it. They must have a good sense of smell that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back