Beertober

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I spoke to somebody who didnt know what was going on, but she did ring me back to tell me she still had no idea what was going on, but she has forwarded my contacts to somebody who might know what is going on. Apparently, the person who knows what is going on is on leave. True story. (She did apologise for what she called a poorly organised event)
It sounds like the government is running this thing.
I doubt that I will have an answer in time to submit any brews but heres hoping
Cheers
LB

There is also a facebook page for the event - they are going to have the Aussie Bon Jovi tribute act there as well - yawn smiley face thingy

The Facebook page doesn't tell us anything that we didn't know. I did ask for some info on the homebrew competition but didn't get a reply. Someone asked what the $25 entry covers, the answer was the bonjovi band and its support acts.

I'm waiting on a return call from one of the organisers, although i dont hold much hope on getting it.

Got a message today from one of the organisers. It appears that the comp is not really a competition as such, but more an opportunity for homebrewers to get together and swap/try a few beers and chat about their set ups etc and score each others beers. I am waiting for a bit more info but that seems to be the crux of the idea.
While I quite like the idea of what they are trying to do, they have left it a bit late for us to get organised and get a crew there. I'm working that day so I cant make it, but I can see that this could be a great opportunity in forthcoming years to get something more formal together, maybe a brewday or brew sytem battle, get a bit of info out there for anyone who is interested. Its probably what we need to do to promote homebrewing.
Cheers
LB

Really late notice, but if anybody is going to enter this, I can give you the phone number of the bloke who you can drop your beer off to. Entries will be accepted on the day as well, although they will need to be cold.
Winning beer gets some sort of a beer label thingy, dont really know what that all means
Cheers
LB -

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Okey dokey, finally obtained an entry form.

Can't seem to post a link or a file from work, so PM me your email address for a copy.

I'm not sure I'll enter it. The points system (and my lack of a really good beer), probably has finished me.

You get points from 100 for:

Appearance (10), After taste (20), Smell (10) and drinkability (30), which I have just noticed, does not add up to 100 points.

"Judges tastes and preferences" are the determing factor. I suppose, because homebrewers run such good, professional (for amateur) comps, that I expect the same outside of AABC sanctioned comps.
BJCP is aroma, appearance, flavour, overall impression and mouthfeel. Not stupidly different really. They also average points out for a final score so 2 x 42 from 2 judges might give an end score of 123, even though it only adds up to 84. judge's decision is final, no correspondence entered into.

More about how it's judged (did I like it? vs what's it trying to do and does it succeed?) and what beer is compared to whichever other beer (as mentioned - aipa vs munich lager might be odd) are important but if you support this stuff, you can make informed suggestions for improvement. I bet the first beerfest was different to how it is today (Melbourne Brewers Beerfest I mean). Now it's BJCP sanctioned, 20-30 entries per category, socially organised weekend, subsidised meals etc. Bet the first one was three people and a bowl of apples but someone had a crack and it built from there.

manticle said:
BJCP is aroma, appearance, flavour, overall impression and mouthfeel. Not stupidly different really. They also average points out for a final score so 2 x 42 from 2 judges might give an end score of 123, even though it only adds up to 84. judge's decision is final, no correspondence entered into.

More about how it's judged (did I like it? vs what's it trying to do and does it succeed?) and what beer is compared to whichever other beer (as mentioned - aipa vs munich lager might be odd) are important but if you support this stuff, you can make informed suggestions for improvement. I bet the first beerfest was different to how it is today (Melbourne Brewers Beerfest I mean). Now it's BJCP sanctioned, 20-30 entries per category, socially organised weekend, subsidised meals etc. Bet the first one was three people and a bowl of apples but someone had a crack and it built from there.
Fair call, Mants.

I'll give you an anecdote. LRG goes into servo to put fuel into his bomb. He has been using this same servo almost exclusively for the last 9 months.

He goes to pay. Lady at counter says "Because you've used Premium fuel, you can enter this competition". LRG "Sweet".

LRG goes to car. Looks at form. Comp has been going since 25th September and finishes on Tuesday 22nd October, less than a week away. And LRG fills up with premium fuel minimum twice a week to keep his bomb going longer than it should.

But only gets told about said competition 5 days before it finishes.

Herendethelessen about Tassie.

Stuff gets organised - but often too late, and too haphazardly. To get your entry form sorted a week before a comp - it's normal for Tas, but not the way stuff gets done on Mainland comps. Plus if you had 2 weeks to get a beer sorted for comp - you'd be struggling as a number of brewers have indicated.

I've been giving the bloke some very nice informed suggestions, sent him the BJCP judging sheet and style guidelines, so if his judges do get a Black IPA, then they're at least somewhere to understanding the beer style (yes I know it's not an AABC style, but at least to understand an IPA). I'm not sitting behind a computer screen whinging to an audience and not helping.

And $25 to see a fake Bon Jovi band, less than a week before I holiday isn't money I want to spend.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Fair call, Mants.

I'll give you an anecdote. LRG goes into servo to put fuel into his bomb. He has been using this same servo almost exclusively for the last 9 months.

He goes to pay. Lady at counter says "Because you've used Premium fuel, you can enter this competition". LRG "Sweet".

LRG goes to car. Looks at form. Comp has been going since 25th September and finishes on Tuesday 22nd October, less than a week away. And LRG fills up with premium fuel minimum twice a week to keep his bomb going longer than it should.

But only gets told about said competition 5 days before it finishes.

Herendethelessen about Tassie.

Stuff gets organised - but often too late, and too haphazardly. To get your entry form sorted a week before a comp - it's normal for Tas, but not the way stuff gets done on Mainland comps. Plus if you had 2 weeks to get a beer sorted for comp - you'd be struggling as a number of brewers have indicated.

I've been giving the bloke some very nice informed suggestions, sent him the BJCP judging sheet and style guidelines, so if his judges do get a Black IPA, then they're at least somewhere to understanding the beer style (yes I know it's not an AABC style, but at least to understand an IPA). I'm not sitting behind a computer screen whinging to an audience and not helping.

And $25 to see a fake Bon Jovi band, less than a week before I holiday isn't money I want to spend.
I dont get it - I only use diesel in my ute?? - Nah, really a fair call LRG1. It has only been thrown out there to try to get some entries in. I have nothing to do with this at all. Just trying to promote the hb side of things. BTW the bloke organising it is one of the best blokes you will ever meet. Turns out I have known him for about 20 or so years. He has worked for breweries in a PR type role before and was a killer Volleyball player. Also a homebrewer from memory. He seems pretty keen to get some home brewers showcasing our brews, putting on demonstrations etc.
But I digress - he is very keen to get the homebrew comp up and running, if not this year, then next year. The only way for it to be what we want, is to make it what we want, hence I will be staying in contact with him during the year to make sure that if it goes ahead next year, we will have a decent comp/representation. And lets face it, NW Tassie needs more of this type of event, why should them bloody Northerners and Hobartians have everything. Its a shame that it so late in the year, as we could use it as a comp to feed into the Canberra Comp, which is Tassies feeder event into the AABC
Section 23 - Specialty Beer - with a description of the beer, should cover the Black IPA entry.
The most popular band in NW Tassie is a band called Gypsy Rose - who use backing music (although the guitarist is more than competent). The lead singer stands on stage with a big air moving fan in front of her, bowling her flowing locks about ala Stevie Nicks, rehashing top 40 and classic hits from the past. You can catch them quite often at Shearwater if you like (I prefer not to). A Bon Jovi rip off band for $25 bucks sounds extremely good to me in comparison. But I understand where you are coming from.
Cheers
LB

@LB - Are you dropping entries in? I tried to organise to get mine picked up from DECC yesterday and (my fault) forget them, and Cam couldn't of course pick them up.

I wanted to enter - just to support it and I reckon my Belgian is up to scratch and maybe the V/M from the swap, which is average, but at least a decent enough beer and dead clear now (visuals are everything to change HB perception).

I can get them into town tomorrow (I think), but it'll be a matter of someone to pick them up or help out.

Given there's been a large increase of brewers - both new and mainland experienced ones coming in here, we should be able to put together something. It just could have given us more notice.

If I hadn't been on holiday, I'd be more than happy to do a demo of the ghetto system. :ph34r:

I reckon something along the lines of an Oktoberfest or beer festival without dodgy bands (and therefore reduce the cost) might have done the trick.

I'm not too sure if I can get entries over there in time. I was hoping to get there tomorrow but the handbrake has me looking at houses instead, so I will see how it goes
Cheers
LB

So did anyone make it out? I guess Paul did and is probably still there.......We had a pretty good day at our event at Railton. Lots of punters enjoying the vitamin D provided from the big orange ball of fire in the sky......I forget its name as I haven't seen it much lately.........Day moon or something......

if you think 3 tallies are too much.. have a look at this tassie comp on the 23rd November http://www.battleofthebrews.org/

gallery_762_745_10319.gif

somnar said:
if you think 3 tallies are too much.. have a look at this tassie comp on the 23rd November http://www.battleofthebrews.org/

gallery_762_745_10319.gif
didn't see the 48 stubbie minimum, but if it's true. ..

I kinda get it - I assume that the punters get a big number of beers to taste.

But no one who brews good enough beer will bother with 48 stubbies. Most have kegs or bottle with tallies reluctantly.

And why would you knock out 24 tallies worth of beer (assuming that's per variety) when 2 or 3 tallies per variety will get you to the nationals via your state affiliate comp?

It seems and I could be wrong, that home brewers are providing free beer for some mob to profit from, trading some recognition in a small capital city for the privilege.

And yes, I know itmechanic is a success story, but compare it to AABC or even state comp winners who've gone pro.

Comps in Tassie are crap imo. Entrants get ripped off having to produce either a/ a ridiculous amount to submit or b/ you do not hear a result or receive any feedback of the comp.

How can they justify having to submit 48 stubbies AND $10 here?...... another freebie for the judges no doubt.....

Didn't this thing happen last year too? Sounds like they're trying to organise a pissup based around a homebrew comp, ie turn up, pay $10, get to drink some beers and have some food. Its a bit ******* dodgey if you ask me.

Latest posts

Back