Beersmith

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I downloaded the trial of beersmith , can you and if you can , where do you change units to metric?
Can't deciede between beersmith or promash

i was talking to some of the guys that develop it and the new version due out is in metric and you can buy a aussie version so to speak where its all set up for Aust conditions as the install file

I might buy it for the <$20 for a Key, or $45ish for the cd + instructions etc and a Aussie install

when you start the program it gives you the option of metric or imperial or whatever

From the main menu select 'Tools/Options/Units'
There's buttons to set either English or Metric as defaults.

Trev

Yep I downloaded a trial and it had the setup wizard at the start to select your units and stuff. Looks nicer than promash but I bought promash last week mainly because it seemed to be what most people had :p

Did the last two AG brews using it and am pretty impressed with the volumes and the strike temps etc, once you get your system worked out it looks like it should take a lot of guesswork out of the brew day.

Didn't play about much with beersmith however.

whats the price difference

beer smith is $17 for a key, or $45 i think for the CD booklet aussie version.

whats promash worth...

I still havn't made up my mind :(

Thanks guys too easy , I sort of like the look of it better than Promash , you have more info on the Aussie version Ben?

Well based on todays exchange rate (0.7612) promash will cost you $32.77AUD for the software bit more ($10.50) if you want it mailed to you. Sounds like beersmith may be a little cheaper, use them both and see which you prefer.

Or be lazy like me and just grab one :lol:

Fellas,

I am currently trialling Beer Smith and think I am going to buy it. The local importer/licensee is based in my area and has told me that the price is $27.50 for the 'key' to register the downloadable software, or $49.50 for the CD version with Aussie malt profiles and 'customised' to Aust conditions. I am not involved with him in any way and am not trying to promote/sell it but thought I'd pass on the info. Still trialling it at the moment, but so far I like what I see.

Shawn.

Gough,
Could you tell me the name and Ph no, email, etc, of that shop.
thanks,
B B B.

I have been using BeerSmith for the last 8 months and cannot recommend it highly enough. It even has a refractometer tool for those of us lucky enuff :rolleyes:

Beers and chollocks
The Very Drunk Arab

Promash has a refractometer tool in it also.
IMO, both will work.
It all comes down to personal perference.

Beersmith now has an Australian distributor, but he will only be supplying brew shops. Will be great to have all the Aussie malts in it.
Having said that Wes Smith from Maltcraft is working with Promash to get the Aussie Malts into it also.

Personally I use Promash because when I started Beersmith was not available. Also there are lots of Promash recipe archives around.

Beers,
Doc

BBB,

As Doc says, the bloke I was referring to will be supplying shops etc. His name is David Lamotte, and his email is [email protected]

Hope that helps.

Shawn.

I Have registered copies of Promash and beersmith. I use beersmith exclusively now because it is simpler and I prefer the format it is presented in, As for Australian malt profiles I downloaded pdf files of malt specs from the Joe White, Thomas Fawcett & sons and Hoepfner Malz websites. These are the malts that I buy through my supplier and the specs only took about 1/2 an hr to enter into beerSmith.
Regards
Andrew

I think i might buy the key for beersmith

there seems to be alot of development on the program and its getting better and better

(promash is also great)

Anyone emailed David on this yet?
Don't want to jam his mail box

If your reading this David , how about posting some info please

Batz

i have been talking to him at work via E-mail

i cant remember what we said but i am going to buy it (just decided now) prob is i am very scared with all the virus crap at the moment and my credit card over the net

i payed $33.55 for my version of promash and beer smith is ok too

No worries of bieng ripped of by promash and also i have unlimeted up dates so it sooounds good to me

but one you have these programs set up it will make working out your brews and designing them easier

was just having a look at beersmith and i quite like it. i really didnt think i would because i thought, "no way it could be better than promash". i suppose we are lucky to have two programs that seem to do lots of things equally well, and you dont lose too much by going for one over the other.
i say go with the one you feel is easier to use and think looks/works better. we do this for the enjoyment so if you are going to spend the money on one, only you have to be happy with the decisions.
joe

I agree with Andrew Clark... very good format and easy to use. It could be easier in parts but it is still under development.

Andrew

I have downloaded the specs that you have mentioned from the Maltcraft site (I assume that's where you got yours from)
http://www.maltcraft.com/specifications.html
There is no mention of Joe White Traditional Ale Malt though. I am wondering if you have this info available?

Steve

Back