Beersmith Step Mash Profile? - adding hot water to BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earle

Choc wheat fiend
Reaction score
I currently BIAB in a 40L crown urn. A while back I picked up a smaller urn from another brewer for the modest price of a few beers with the vague intention of using it for step mashes, by adding hot water rather than raising the temp of the mash through heating. It's been sitting in the shed but I've started thinking about it again.

Has anyone done this for BIAB step mashes? And does anyone know how to set this up as a mash profile in beersmith? I've had a bit of a play but it seems BIAB overrides everything else in the mash profile so that the first step is the full volume.

Cheers for any pointers.

You want to select an infusion mash profile and play with the mash in and infusion set point volume. Just remember that in BS the grain absorption is different for BIAB and traditional mash profiles, you can adjust this in settings.

There are a number of infusion step mash profiles. I cant see why it wont work the same for BIAB. No real need to use the BIAB sellections.
I have made my own mash profiles. Typical one is first infusion 2.5l/kg to 50c protein rest. 2nd infusion gets to 3.5l/kg sacc rest. Then a Decoction to get to 70 - 75c, (alternatively a 3rd infusion) Then I batch sparge at 75c. You could upsize the water ratio more to the like of BIAB water ratio.

Latest posts

Back