Beersmith - Mash Tun Specific Heat Calculations?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just built a new mash tun (stainless) and after brewing the first brew, found that it absorbs a lot more heat than the old plastic job - so much so that even though I rinsed it out with warm water, I missed my mash temp by 2 degrees (68 instead of 70).

I have set up my equipment in beersmith, and have the mash tun volume, specific heat capacity and weight - but still when I got to the brewsheet, I get the warning "No equipment adjustments made".

So - how do I get beersmith to make the equipment adjustments - I've read the help and tried all the options - can't seem to get it to do it. Before I email and ask Brad, I thought I'd ask here....

Thanks for any suggestions,

Matt

P.S. Which is better beersmith or promash? :p :lol: :eek:

I have set up my equipment in beersmith, and have the mash tun volume, specific heat capacity and weight - but still when I got to the brewsheet, I get the warning "No equipment adjustments made".

So - how do I get beersmith to make the equipment adjustments - I've read the help and tried all the options - can't seem to get it to do it. Before I email and ask Brad, I thought I'd ask here....

Matt

Matt - 3/4 down the recipe page is a box for your mash profile. Next to that is a 'choose' button, a 'details' button and then a check box titled 'adjust temp for equipment'. Check that box and beersmith will make the necessary adjustment in the brewsheet preview. You can also do a manual adjustment by clicking into your mash profile and moving the temps of the tun and grain to whatever your current ambient temps are.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Hoges.

Hi everyone,

I've just built a new mash tun (stainless) and after brewing the first brew, found that it absorbs a lot more heat than the old plastic job - so much so that even though I rinsed it out with warm water, I missed my mash temp by 2 degrees (68 instead of 70).

Matt

Hogan has it covered above, but for a bit more info on thermal mass, the mash tun specific heat standard setting for stainless steel in Beersmith is .120 from memory. Once you have some experience with your system adjust this to ensure strike temp results in the desired target mash temp. Have a SS insulated mash tun here and use about one and a half metres of hose from the HLT. Have allowed for losses in the tun and hose using the specific heat setting. Now have it set at .350 results in spot on temp every time.

Thats brilliant guys - I can't see for looking!

Hopefully that will sort out the temp next time!

M

Back