Beersmith 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerking

Reaction score
Hi Guys ,

I have recently purchased Beer Smith 2 , and am currently using a defult BIAB equipment profile (40 electric urn). My Kettle is 350mm in diameter and not 380mm as represented in this default equipment profile . When you double click on the equipment profile to edit and make changes kettle diameter is not shown to edit . The 380mm is listed in the profile notes , how the hell do you change this ?

Cheers Leigh .

Hi Leigh,

It's the volumes (will change with diameter etc), boil off and losses etc, that are important for you to adjust with your brewing setup at home in the software.

If you are not sure, go with the default settings for a couple of brews and then make the changes in the software for your setup if required.

I'm sure the BIAB gurus could help if the BS2 defaults need adjusting. :icon_cheers:

Cheers and good luck,

PB

You are aware you can set up your own Equipment Profile to suit your system?

Click on Profiles
Select Equipment
Click Add Equipment

Then fill in the details to suit your set up, and give it a name you select.
Click OK at top right.

Then use that when designing recipes.
Edit your Equipment Profile as needed, based on your experience.

God freakin' damn it

I stupidly decided to d/load Beersmith 2 at 8am on a Sunday morning & try & brew the same day

What I thought was the 'required mash water' was actually the 'required mash volume'. Which basically means I've started with approx' 4 litres more water than I should've & I've only just realised it. I could've compensated with a longer boil time but now it's been put through the plate chiller & is in the fv

God freakin' damn it

I stupidly decided to d/load Beersmith 2 at 8am on a Sunday morning & try & brew the same day

What I thought was the 'required mash water' was actually the 'required mash volume'. Which basically means I've started with approx' 4 litres more water than I should've & I've only just realised it. I could've compensated with a longer boil time but now it's been put through the plate chiller & is in the fv

Call it a midstrength beer instead of a full strength. No problem. 4 extra litres probably won't make that much difference to the flavour profile, hopefully. Can't have any less flavour than some of the major commercial offerings.

Hi Guys,

Can someone please tell me what Tun Deadspace means?

If there's any tips or tricks that Beersmith 2 users know about please feel free to share, there's so much bloody information to fill out

Hi Guys,

If there's any tips or tricks that Beersmith 2 users know about please feel free to share, there's so much bloody information to fill out

It's the volume left behind in the mashtun which you cannot drain. Most taps are a little above the floor of the mashtun, so that creates the deadspace. You can minimise it by tipping the mashtun towards the tap at the end of your drain or sparge.
I'd suggest you fill your mashtun with a few litres of water, run it off as much as you can, then measure the volume of water left behind. The volume left behind is equal to the deadspace.
It's not to be confused with the water absorbed by the grains.

there's so much bloody information to fill out

You don't have to use all it's features to brew beer!!

For example, I never use the mash in and sparge volumes, because I've never dialed them in for BS2, and I know what to do with my system without BS2 telling me, based on notes from past brews.
I also don't use the mash in and sparge temperatures, because again I know exactly what my system delivers for me.

Having said that, I do use a lot of the features, but just not all of them.

Hi Guys,

Lauter Tun Deadspace Represents the deadspace in the lauter tun how much wort will likely be lost to the lauter tun screen and piping

Check out http://beersmith.com/equipment-setup/, it was invaluable when I was setting up my equipment profile.

Breakbeer,

You can add some malt extract, liquid or dried, at any time you wish during fermentation to bring the brew back up to wanted gravity.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back