Beersmith 2 - Ibu's Sky Rocketed!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piraterum

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had some recipes adjusted in Beersmith V2 and ready to go. I opened them up today and the IBU's have dramatically increased for all the recipes (e.g. 37 to 66 IBU) :eek:

I'm thinking I must have inadvertently clicked on something which has changed my equipment profile because:
A. All my recipe IBU's have changed
B. Other peoples recipes i have imported have no changed

I've looked at the equipment setup and recipes and can't for the life of me see what has made this occur :huh:

I've attached one of the recipes as a Beersmith V1 file attachment. If someone could have a look and give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment SNPA_high_IBU.bsm

My guess is the extract added late in the boil. All my parital recipes where I have added extract into the boil late was calculated on BS1 and then when imported into the recipes BS2 calculated differently. Using your recipe I removed the late extract boil on the two items you had at 15 mins and the IBU went to 37 as you previously reported.

BS2_ExtractIBUthingy.jpg

Looking at it from a purely brewing format if you added that amount of hops to a 9lt boil with just the mashed grain I can definitely see this being a 60+ ibu beer, its alot of hops. But if you added in all the extract at the start of the boil then the large amount of hops is warranted. What did you actually do for this brew out of interest?

My guess is the extract added late in the boil. All my parital recipes where I have added extract into the boil late was calculated on BS1 and then when imported into the recipes BS2 calculated differently. Using your recipe I removed the late extract boil on the two items you had at 15 mins and the IBU went to 37 as you previously reported.

View attachment 55318

Looking at it from a purely brewing format if you added that amount of hops to a 9lt boil with just the mashed grain I can definitely see this being a 60+ ibu beer, its alot of hops. But if you added in all the extract at the start of the boil then the large amount of hops is warranted. What did you actually do for this brew out of interest?

Thanks for having a look Keifer.

These recipes where created directly in BS2, so it isn't an import issue. I alway use the extract added late in the boil (last 15 mins) option so that hasn't changed. So bascially, I haven't changed anything in the recipe - hop amounts, alpha acid % etc .I just opened the recipe up again and the IBU had changed from 37 to 66.

What I have noticed is the sum of the %IBU in the recipe does not equal the the estimated IBU of the recipe! I know this was a bug in BS1. I thought it was fixed in BS2?

Attachments

• BS2_ExtractIBUthingy.jpg
    BS2_ExtractIBUthingy.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 38
I don't think this is the same issue as before. I think this is just rounding. Each IBU against the ingredient is rounded to 1 decimal place for display purposes, but the total would be calculated by the full value.

ie (just adding 4 to the decimal so for display it would still be rounded down.)
Magnum 25.8 could be 25.84
Perle 7.2 could be 7.24
Cascade 4.4 could be 4.44
= 37.52
display as 37.5

but if you add the rounded values from above you would only get 37.4

QldKev

edit: simplify the maths

I don't think this is the same issue as before. I think this is just rounding. Each IBU against the ingredient is rounded to 1 decimal place for display purposes, but the total would be calculated by the full value.

ie (just adding 4 to the decimal so for display it would still be rounded down.)
Magnum 25.8 could be 25.84
Perle 7.2 could be 7.24
Cascade 4.4 could be 4.44
= 37.52
display as 37.5

but if you add the rounded values from above you would only get 37.4

QldKev

edit: simplify the maths

Sorry Kev I should have clarified... I was talking about the recipe showing the high IBU before keifer adjusted it by removing the late boil.

Adding up the individual ingredient IBU's = 7.2 + 25.8 + 4.4 + 0.0 = 37.4 - which is what i wanted

Recipe est IBU = 66 - now it's displaying this when before it was agreeing with the ingredient IBU total (37.4)

So why the est IBU suddenly changed from 37.4 to 66? :huh:

SNPA_high_IBU.JPG

I've been struggling with IBUs in BS2 exactly this situation: half boils (i.e. half extract/grains, boil volume) with extract added at the end, and cold water top-up

There's a difference between adding the individual hop addition IBUs and the total IBU of the recipe. But the total IBU matches the value from the hop bitterness tool. The story as far as I can tell in my situation is that total IBU is reduced due to increased losses to the trub of the half boil.

What happens when you use the hop bitterness tool?

[I'd like to understand how the hell BS2 calculates IBU too!]

I've been struggling with IBUs in BS2 exactly this situation: half boils (i.e. half extract/grains, boil volume) with extract added at the end, and cold water top-up

There's a difference between adding the individual hop addition IBUs and the total IBU of the recipe. But the total IBU matches the value from the hop bitterness tool. The story as far as I can tell in my situation is that total IBU is reduced due to increased losses to the trub of the half boil.

What happens when you use the hop bitterness tool?

[I'd like to understand how the hell BS2 calculates IBU too!]

If I use the hop bitterness tool to change the est IBU to 37 the recipe changes to 4 + 14.5 + 2.5 = 21

I'm going to see if the Beersmith Forum has any insight

Another thing that gets it nicely back to an IBU of 37 is changing from Partial Mash to All-Grain funnily enough. Did you change your defaults in the menu for your equipment at any point as its very convenient.

The bug is present in BS2 as per below. So go by the est IBU

"Hi,
It is the late extract addition that is throwing this off. This was a bug in BeerSmith 1.4 that I thought I corrected in BeerSmith 2 - which version are you using?

The issue is that the total IBUs are being calculated correctly (so the total is right) but the individual hop addition contributions are being calculated without factoring in the late extract addition, so those are off a bit.

Brad"

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/t...2.html#msg25682

Back