Beersmith 2.1 Nearly Here!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Just because i love to tinker and have a hard time staying still for too long, i've been working with BS for the last few weeks. I love brewing software packages, and i typically use BeerTools Pro or Brewmate. But lately i've felt the need for a change, so been having a good crack at BS.

Most of you who use it would know it's due soon for an upgrade. I checked the website a few weeks ago and all it said was "couple of weeks, Mid May".

Just looked at Brad's site and apparently it's getting released tomorrow. Cooooooool. More stuff to play with! Will have a timer section and cloud stuff too. But i really only want it for the timer functionality.

Just thought i'd let you'se all know in case you weren't aware.

Been mucking around with the timer today it follows your mash schedule and the boil schedule. Will require some ignoring for No Chilling as if you calc your hops at 10 mins but they are actually cube hops its going to buzz at 10 mins so still not perfect. The Cloud stuff is going to cost money for storage so will probably just keep using dropbox.

bs2timer.jpg

Can you use it on more than one PC with the same lisence?

Yes. I have it installed on my home PC & my work laptop.

Hi,
We have recently changed our policy to allow for one owner to install on two computers as long as both copies are for the owner's personal use (and not for use by another person). In this case you should be fine as long as you limit yourself to the two computers you are personally using.

We do track key usage to monitor large scale key abuse, so please don't share your key with friends or other people.

Cheers!
Brad

Been mucking around with the timer today it follows your mash schedule and the boil schedule. Will require some ignoring for No Chilling as if you calc your hops at 10 mins but they are actually cube hops its going to buzz at 10 mins so still not perfect. The Cloud stuff is going to cost money for storage so will probably just keep using dropbox.

View attachment 54544

I've had a play, I like the timer but I need to set it up on my laptop to make it worthwhile. Same thing, I'm not porting the data into the cloud, not for me.

QldKev

...The Cloud stuff is going to cost money for storage so will probably just keep using dropbox.

View attachment 54544

...Same thing, I'm not porting the data into the cloud, not for me.

QldKev

Disclaimer, I work in I.T. in the integration space, so we're all about "the cloud".

Using the cloud as the storage for your recipe's is a great solution to having multiple computers all needing to access the one "database" of recipes/ingredients. A lot of us have been using Dropbox for this exact functionality for a while now. Integrating it into BeerSmith takes away the technical complexity of setting this up, and in theory should synchronise differences a lot better.

However, I think Brad has priced himself out of gaining much uptake from his userbase. $1 per month is not a lot of money, but in comparison to the price of the actual product, and in relation to the size of storage required, you are paying almost 50% of the base cost (i.e. purchase price) per year, just in storage.

Compare this to Amazon S3 storage, which runs at 12.5 cents per month, for up to a Gigabyte of storage, plus the first year of storage is free for non-commercial use. I wouldn't be surprised if BeerSmith is using S3, or something similar, as it's backing data store, rather than attempting to maintain the physical servers/storage himself.

It's a great idea, and if Brad reduces his price, I'll be taking it up.

I totally agree Warmbeer. I should have placed more reasoning in my original post. Im not a cheap arse and complaining about it costing money but was more the higher costs in storing recipes in the beersmith cloud compared to other services. I understand there are other features about sharing and a user interface but not quite sure this justifies the pricing in comparison to the original product and its features. Most of us would have around 100+ recipes we would want to store and this would place around $27 (While on sale) to $40 a year to store up to 200 recipes. If the price was lower I would definitely be jumping on board. Saying all this I will create a free account and trial with 10 recipes and see how it functions before making my mind on how I will store them.

keiffer/qldkev

how did you guys get a copy of it with the timers and that stuff? you guys beta testing it or something??

it says if you subscribe to the newsletter you'll get a chance to grab it early, but i'm a subscriber and haven't heard anything. BS tells me im running the most up to date version (2.065or something...)

nath

just checked bs website.

I'm definitely subscribed but haven't received any notification yet.

just downloaded BS 2.1, will be giving the timer function a run this weekend. The cloud already has heaps of recipes to choose from too, can't wait to have a play

It's a pity there is still no option for no chill. It's great Brad has added BIAB but they really need to look at a no chill check box instead of using an external chart or adding 10-20mins to your late hop additions.

Back