Beers in the Movie Gone Girl

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankinoz

Reaction score
The characters In Gone Girl hold beers more than each other, and that's saying a lot, given the amount of dating and mating that goes on. And there are beer signs and taps everywhere. One big infomercial.

The beers most often featured are Leffe and Rolling Rock. The latter is not sold here as far as I know, but it's known for its very high DMS, and is popular in spite of or because of that. Other beers in the movie include Hoegarden, Goose Island IPA and (shudder) Bud Lite.

What all those beers have in common is that the evil empire Anheuser Inbev owns all of them.

Product placement is common, but what's intriguing about Gone Girl is that it mostly promotes their smaller brands, apart from that quick Bud Lite appearance. Not Budweiser, Stella or Beck's, their international flagship brands. Imagine an Aussie movie with many shots of Matilda Bay and James Squires brews, but not of their owners' Foster/Carlton/SAB Miller macrobrews.

Anheuser Inbev seems to be promoting a local brew image. At one point people drink Rolling Rock in front of a big sign that says Latrobe Valley Brewing Company, which made RR back when the film is set. The brewing was long ago moved to an ABI premise.

At one point you see a Boulevard Brewery t-shirt. ABI does not own that one. Must be from a separate payoff.

So how was the movie? Very good, I guess---the beer distracted me.

I hear that Margaret and David are moving on. Are you looking for a job?

In an episode of The Walking Dead a group of survivors were in a supermarket that had stacks of beer (can't remember the type),an no one got pissed!
Holy shit the Zombies are every where,no cops,got guns and a stack of free piss and nobody got shit faced,nobody ran amok !
Poxy bit of script writing,sure as **** there would be trouble if the show was based in Straya.

Latest posts

Back