Beerline Wrong Size.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
I went to KK today and brought some QD barbs and a one way check valve and some beer line. When he asked me what type of beer line I just said whatever suits all of this.

But now that Im at home I cant see anyway this beer line is going to fit onto these barbs. I tried soaking the beer line in boiling water but still couldnt get it on.

Has he sold me the wrong sized beer line? I dont know how as he knew what it had to fit.

beerline.jpg

I tried forcing it on and it just started to gouge out the inner walls of the beer line.

it should be fine but you need a pair of pointy nose plyers. After leaving the hose in the water for a minute, take it out and stick the tip of the plyers in the hose and then stretch the hose, you normally need to repeat a few times

Keg hose is like some ladies, they need to be stretched first :super:

it should be fine but you need a pair of pointy nose plyers. After leaving the hose in the water for a minute, take it out and stick the tip of the plyers in the hose and then stretch the hose, you normally need to repeat a few times

Or do the soak in hot water then use a phillips screwdriver to stretch the hose.

Cheers

Okay so he has given me the correct beer line then??? And I'm not trying to flog a dead horse here? That being the case I will persevere and try what you said. Thanks heaps.

The I.D. just looked way to bloody small to me.

@Brad.....Yeh a Phillips head sounds like a good idea. Thanks..

Okay so he has given me the correct beer line then??? And I'm not trying to flog a dead horse here? That being the case I will persevere and try what you said. Thanks heaps.

The I.D. just looked way to bloody small to me.

will be the right line just a pain to fit, all will be forgotten when you don't have to wash all those bottles!!

Bit of hot water, keg lube and elbow grease is all it takes. You'll be fine after a few goes at it.

Great tool for the job if you have some:

Soak end in boiling [Boil kettle and pour in mug] water for a minute or so and stretch with:

CCP.jpg

What's the I.D. (Inner Diameter)?

It "should" be printed on the outside of the beer line, at least it was the first time I bought some from KK.

I found the 4mm ID line was impossible, even with heat/stretching, but the 5mm worked fine with a little "oomph". Use the afore mentioned boiling water/long-nose pliers to stretch it a little, and I found wearing rubber gloves (black ones, I'm a man, dammit!) helps get a good grip on both the line and the barb/disconnect/pluto.

I suspect every kegger goes through this pain, before they discover the true beauty and convenience that is John Guest fittings.

Tried that stiff beer line once, rather annoying to put on barbs... boiling water and pliers..pffft.

Using the PVC (I think) beverage line ever since, slips on and off barbs without much effort and doesn't even need a crimp for normal serving pressures. I get perfect pour on my Perlicks with short and long lengths.

For gas line I use the same or the food grade pressure hose at Master's ($1.60/m), thick walled and flexible... plus they have a full range of push on (JG style) connectors.

P.S. Either of you **intimate cuddlers** coming along to the case swap tomorrow?

You should, you know. I shall be there, drunk, full, and happy.

I wish I was.. I know what I am missing out on and now knowing you will be there, drunk.. to think, what could've been will kill me a little inside :p

xmas.

Have a great day lads!

Cocko. Don't do it. Really, just don't.

Btw T, boil kettle of water and dip it straight in there.
If you really want, flame the barb a little so everything stays warm for a bit. Pliers/screwdriver sounds good, just better if you can do without. If all else fails, take a round needle file and wear it out a little on the inside.

N yea, be a man!

There is no ******* way Im getting this Mofo beer line on these QD barbs.

Ive stabbed myself twice with a screwdriver, managed to split the hose because it gets that soft when its warm it just wants to flex too easily and the barb ends up pushing out the side wall.

Ive tried screwdriver, pliers, circlip pliers everything I could think of and I got line onto the gas non return valve but no chance I can get it on the barbs of the QD's.

Might go back to KK and see if they have anything with a larger ID.

@seemax..Do you get this pvc beverage line at Bunnings?

KK had PVC beverage line, at least a few months back

or just go for the 6mm ID line they have

Back