BeerFingers - 1.5Kg Amarillo SMaSH IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if it turns out less drinkable than your pale ale K&K?
Fair chance it will, if you ask me :ph34r: :ph34r:

Good thing I'm not asking you :p
you can stick K&K up your cloacae.

Will be splitting the Mash to 4kg each to make sure my efficiency stays where I want it.
Plan to over-sparge a bit and boil longer.
Have revised the hop additions though after speaking to some of our best brewers (they know who they are).

1Kg in the 10min addition.
500g dry hopped for 5 days in the keg.

this is primarily for a tad more insurance that it will be drinkable.

BF

Good thing I'm not asking you :p
you can stick K&K up your cloacae.

1Kg in the 10min addition.
500g dry hopped for 5 days in the keg.

this is primarily for a tad more insurance that it will be drinkable.

BF
Interesting choice of terms. I would have thought stick it up your cloaca sufficient but you have gone for the plural. Did you know that some turtles can partially breathe through their anal cloaca?
In all seriousness, whilst 1kg for 10 minutes would yeild interesting results, I think 500g in dry hopping is over the top. I could not imagine that the effect of say 250g dry hopping would have any less of an effect than 500g. I am just pulling figures out of my cloaca but the point is that there would at some point be a level at which additional hops in dry hopping may not yield a perceptable difference. I would also expect that a big whack at 10 minutes such as you plan, should yield a good depth of bitterness, flavour and aroma. You may be wasting your hops in the dry hop. Perhaps put 200g into the all grain brew and keg hop the other 300g into the K&K beer to make it taste more like beer?

and keg hop the other 300g into the K&K beer to make it taste more like beer?
Or save the 300g for mouth hoping the K&K beer (stick a few pellets in your mouth before each sip) - no doubt this would improve the flavour (well it couldn't really make it worse ;) ).

Could even stick a pellet in each nostril to improve the aroma. :lol:

I find that the more hops you throw at a beer during the boil the more dry hopping it can handle. 1kg of hops late in the boil will give you loads of hop character for sure and if you want a strong dry hopped character to really come through then I find I need to up my dry hopping otherwise it can get lost amongst the hot side hop additions. You may not notice a 100-200g dry hop in this this sort of beer so you may as well go for 500g. One way to go about it would be smaller additions for shorter periods. BF - you could try dry hopping your keg with 300g for 5 days then transferring into a new keg with a fresh 200g dry hop if you haven't got the dry hop character you wish after the first 300g.

but the point is that there would at some point be a level at which additional hops in dry hopping may not yield a perceptable difference.
I dunno - he'll probably see less beer.

BF - you could try dry hopping your keg with 300g for 5 days then transferring into a new keg with a fresh 200g dry hop if you haven't got the dry hop character you wish after the first 300g.

Yeah I did consider a double dry hop, and If I was able to crack open my fermenter lid, I probably would, but I can't risk the chance of infection on this one.
Stuffing around with kegs and pushing from one to another.

I think the difference also is this:
A lot of people dry hop into a 18c-22c beer. Correct me if i'm wrong, but in my mind, at that temp you'll also be extracting harsh acids as well as the resins you're after. Dry hopping in a beer that's 2c-4c will not extract these harsh acids as much and leaves the alcohol to extract the resins you're after and less of the harsh acids.

So I think maybe 500g for 7 days and then if it's still not there, another 250g for 5 (making it 1.75kg, I have more Amarillo ;))

With a brew @ nearly 10% ABV I dont think there will be any problem dry hopping 500g

Cheers,

BF

I'd suggest a false bottom (cloaca) for your keg, though using a biab bag instead could work

I'd suggest a false bottom (cloaca) for your keg, though using a biab bag instead could work

I have bags I got from Ross and a few stockings i'll use these.
Nothing shits me more than a blocked pickup tube

Nice work, BL! Tight as a fish's arse.

I hope you like hop tea, BF ;)

C'mon, just a touch of crystal for some balance, man!

Yeah I did consider a double dry hop, and If I was able to crack open my fermenter lid, I probably would, but I can't risk the chance of infection on this one.
Stuffing around with kegs and pushing from one to another.

I think the difference also is this:
A lot of people dry hop into a 18c-22c beer. Correct me if i'm wrong, but in my mind, at that temp you'll also be extracting harsh acids as well as the resins you're after. Dry hopping in a beer that's 2c-4c will not extract these harsh acids as much and leaves the alcohol to extract the resins you're after and less of the harsh acids.

So I think maybe 500g for 7 days and then if it's still not there, another 250g for 5 (making it 1.75kg, I have more Amarillo ;) )

With a brew @ nearly 10% ABV I dont think there will be any problem dry hopping 500g

Cheers,

BF

just my experience but having dry hopped at cold temps and warmer temps i find that you get 3/5ths of bugger all out of the dry hops added in cold conditioning, but with 500 grams im sure it will still be plenty. im not sure on the clarity you will get with this beer either isnt green beer meant to be for st patricks day only?

I dry hop in cold and notice a reasonable effect. As much as I want anyway (but that's 1g/L not 10)

just my experience but having dry hopped at cold temps and warmer temps i find that you get 3/5ths of bugger all out of the dry hops added in cold conditioning, but with 500 grams im sure it will still be plenty.

Yeah, the hops will be contained in a bag, so I'll leave it there longer if i need to.

im not sure on the clarity you will get with this beer either isnt green beer meant to be for st patricks day only?

It won't be clear, it'll look like murray water, i'm expecting that.

I've got a filter that will make it clear as piss. it's in sydney and you need to feed it a pint at a time.

I'm in Melbourne so my piss gets chill haze. I tried adding isinglass to the cask but I just got blocked up.

I'm in Melbourne so my piss gets chill haze. I tried adding isinglass to the cask but I just got blocked up.

Apparently blowing in the end of it helps.
Don't worry about sanitation, probably a bit late for that.

Latest posts

Back