Beerfest 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
Melbourne Brewers are excited to announce the details for Beerfest 2007 (Feb 9-11).

Please visit our dedicated web-site http://www.beerfest.org.au/ for entry forms and full details of over $2000 dollars in cash and prizes, including:

Champion Beer of Show:
Grand Ridge Brewery has again generously provided $500, which will go to the beer with the highest points score.

Champion Brewer (New Prize):
The Transport Bar, Federation Square has arranged for the Champion Brewer at Beerfest to brew a 1000L batch of beer in a commercial brewery. The Champion Brewer and the Transport Bar will agree on the recipe/beer which will be served on tap at the Transport Bar on a date to be arranged.

Melbourne Brewers would like to thank all our generous sponsors.

Any queries re. the event should be directed to [email protected]

Melbourne Brewers Committee

Looking forward to it.

Maybe you'll all be drinking my beer at the Transport!

Brett

$6 to $8 per entry is a bit steep don't you think - especially for interstaters who have mailing costs as well.
A shame, as looks like a good comp.

cheers Ross

C'mon Ross,

I'm sure that a couple of bucks won't hurt you. (joking, buddy. U know I'm a stirrer)

Could you, or other out-of Staters (such as me) afford to send just one beer?
I'd like to...., but as Ross suggests: the shipping gets pricey. It cost me a small bomb to get my beers to the AABC comp, as I'm sure it cost them to produce all those etched beer trophy/mugs.
I'll prob send 1 entry, until I become old enough to draw a superannuation/indexed pension, and have less ongoing costs. I'll start a hydroponic lettuce &/or herb farm. :chug: O

What price would you pay for those bragging rights? I'd be well chuffed, to see my beer on tap in another State. Testify!! :beer:
Everyone who can afford to send a beer, should send their best beer ATM. I'd like to see support for my local event, mentioned elsewhere on this forum... And I expect to support theirs. Everyone's judges become more experienced, and you may find yourselves becoming a valuable resource. pm sent to Fish

BTW, and a little O/T, but did U see that the beer glass thread has been closed? Looks like the glasses are on the way, and I'm becoming a little excited. news soon ----->>

Seth out (to review Stuster's Rye, with a critical eye, fie!)
(* spell edit performed)

$6 to $8 per entry is a bit steep don't you think - especially for interstaters who have mailing costs as well.
A shame, as looks like a good comp.

cheers Ross

Yes, it does look like a fair bit of money per entry, but you would be surprised what it costs to put on a comp. It costs close to $6 to get the entry in a glass in front of 3 judges, give them some score sheets and style guides and then send the results back to the entrant. Then you have to feed and water all the judges and helpers etc etc etc - it all adds up very quickly.

There is usually little left once the basics are covered so any prizes have to be covered by the sponsors.

But our comps are cheap by comparison to those in America - after converting to Aussie Dollars their entry cost is closer to $10 !

But still much cheaper than comps for commercial beer - these run to $100-$200 per entry :blink:

David

Ross + Les: perhaps you should get a few guys together and put the whole lot in one box, i'm sure shipping would be cheaper when it's split over a few people, the more the merrier i say would be great to see some interstate beers there

beer krout: you mean my beer don't you? :)

-Phill

Hi Ross / all - The committee discussed at some length the issue of entry fees and in the end settled for what we considered a minor increase ($5 to $6 for brew club members and $5 to $8 for Independents). As has been alluded to by 'bigfridge' the time, effort and costs involved in running such a comp (especially one that goes all weekend) are significant. To off-set this we believe we have gathered together some brilliant prizes thanks to our sponsors. That said I hope we haven't excluded anyone due to costs. I think the group-post idea is great - especially for interstate clubs, etc...

Just a quick update re. the event:

- 9 holes of golf is available for those keen on the Friday (registration for this will be available via the web-site http://www.beerfest.org.au/ shortly or simply e-mail [email protected] )

- To launch / co-incide with Beerfest the team at Grand Ridge are planning a festival / farmers market during the day and bands on Fri, Sat, & Sun.

- In addition there will be plenty of beer coming off the judging tables so hopefully there will be something to interest everyone.

Get a car-load organised and come for the day / weekend.

Hope to see you there.

Fish

A reminder that the closing dates for entries to Beerfest is this Wed 31 January 2007.

The Beerfest website has all the information on the event, Style Guidelines, prizes and sponsors, entry forms, drop off points, weekend activities, judging roster etc.

In addition we still require Judges and Stewards for the following categories:

Judges and Stewards

Friday Feb 9th 5pm - Strong Lager, Strong Ale.
Judge 1 Vacant
Steward - Vacant

Saturday Feb 10th 9am - Pale Ale.
Steward - Vacant

Saturday Feb 10th 9am - Porter & Stout.
Judge 3 Vacant

Saturday Feb 10th 2pm - Dark Lager & Dark Ale
Steward - Vacant

Brewers who would like to judge at Beerfest are to contact conveners at [email protected] [email protected] Please leave your mobile phone number. If you are a recognised Judge or apprentice please provide your BJCP registration number. All judges will receive the updated roster and contact list.

I LOOK FORWARD TO KNOCKING BACK A FEW 'OFF THE WOOD' AT TRANSPORT WITH THE WINNERS.

Cheers
Fish

Oh bugger, too late, haven't seen this before today. Have a cracker of a pils on tap at the moment too that I'd love to enter into a comp.

It's not too late if you can get to a PO today, sluggerdog. Express Post 'should' get there. :unsure:

Ive combined 3 entrants brews into one box. It could have been sent snail yesterday for $12 from Silverwater and was informed that it 'should' get there, but I decided to go express to guarantee it getting there by today for $29.
So the total for 5(x $8) entries plus express post was $70 otherwise it wouldve been $52

We'll talk later about what constitues a club ;) B)

Stirring the brew...........

Hey guys how did the comp go?

Any idea when the results will be posted? online and in the mail.

For all you impatient types here are the results that where emailed through to the Melbourne Brewer's members. I believe the "official" results should be posted to the website around about the 15th Feb.

(Sorry about the crappy cut and paste job, but you should get the drift)

Major Prizes

Champion Beer ($500 Cash provided by Grand Ridge Brewery)

* Bryce van Denderen (Bayside Brewers) with a Dubbel - 128.5 points

Champion Brewer (to brew a 1000L batch at a commercial brewery and the beer will be served at the Transport Bar, Federation Square).

* Robin Brown (Independent) with a total of 6 points {1 1st (3), 1 2nd (2) and 1 3rd (1)}

Best Club

* Worthogs & Bayside with 9 points {Worthogs 1 1st (3), 2 2nds (4) and 2 3rds (2) = 9) (Bayside 2 1sts (6), 1 2nd (2) and 1 3rd (1)}

Melbourne Brewers scored 6 points and Westgate 2 points.

Best Novice

* To be advised

Category Winners and Placegetters

Pale Lager (27)

Tony Vandenberg

Independent

Munich Helles

John Kingston

Westgate Brewers

American Pils

Michael vander Heyden

Worthogs

Bohemian Pilsner

Wheat (16)

Robin Brown

Independent

Weizen

Tony Wheeler

Melbourne Brewers

Hefeweizen

Robin Brown

Independent

Belgium Wit

Porter/Stout (23)

Nikolai Dontschuk, Brendan

(Westhorpe)Indpndnt

Classic Dry Irish

Laurie Cunningham

Worthogs

Australian Stout

Lukas Deadman

Worthogs

Australian Stout

Strong Lager/Ale (25)

John Strantzen

Worthogs

Strong Scotch Ale

Rod Patterson

Bayside Brewers

Imperial Stout

Lachlan Strong

Independent

Imperial Indian Pale Ale

Belgium Ale (30)

Bryce van Denderen

Bayside Brewers

Dubbel

Ben Lloyd

Independent

Bierre de Garde

Stuart Upton

Inner Sydney Brewers

Saison

Dark Lager/Ale (30)

Rod Patterson

Bayside Brewers

Schwarzbier

Michael vander Heyden

Worthogs

Altbier

Graeme Ward

Melbourne Brewers

Vienna Lager

British Ale (32)

Tony Wheeler

Melbourne Brewers

English Pale Ale

Robin Brown

Independent

Scottish Ale

Chan & Eileen Lay

Bayside Brewers

Scottish Export

Pale Ale (49)

Scott Simpson

Hunter All Grain

American Pale Ale

Lachlan Strong

Independent

Australian Pale Ale

Jye Smith

Brisbane Brewers

Indian Pale Ale Brit

Cheers Chris :beer:

Pretty happy Im on the list :beerbang: but next time I should mark my entry a bit better, was an AIPA and not a "Indian Pale Ale Brit"

I see there are no results for the specialty class, will they be up later?

The results are now up on the Beerfest 2007 website.

Note:

Melbourne Brewers President has released this apology.

"The highest score for Belgium Ales (Cat 5) was 128.5 points for a Dubbel brewed by
Bryce van Denderen. The highest score for British Ales (Cat 7) was 129.5 points for
an English Pale Ale brewed by Tony Wheeler.

Therefore, Tony won the Champion Beer of Show not Bryce, who was a close second."

Read the full letter attachment.

Cheers
BK

View attachment Apology_to_Brewers_beerfest_07_Best_of_Show.pdf

:beerbang: :beerbang: Go Stuster 3rd place Belgian.

Well done. :)

Warren -

Latest posts

Back