Beerfest 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
BeerFest is on again next February. Still to be confirmed but we are hoping to repeat the $500 cash first prize and $1000 or more total prize money.

As far as I know this is the oldest running open comp in Australia and is organised by Melbourne Brewers. It is held at the Grand Ridge Brewery in Mirboo Nth (about 2 hours East of Melbourne).

Entry forms and further details can be found at:

melbourne brewers

Forgive my ignorance, but what is category 1 - PCL?

's OK I worked it out - Pale Continental Lager

a competition that gives cash prizes is interesting, but those categories look weird

Specialty/High Gravity? So, comparing Lambic to Barley Wine?

Dark Ales/Lagers-lagers and ales in one category? can they be High Gravity?

Will have a porter that should be in good shape by the time of that comp

Jovial Monk

WOO HOO cant wait should be a great weekend
lots of brewers head up there for the weekend itself for thoes interested in a brew weekend away

Gout said:
WOO HOO cant wait should be a great weekend
lots of brewers head up there for the weekend itself for thoes interested in a brew weekend away
Love to be there myself for that day and see grand ridge a meet some vic brewers, i think they are one of the best micro's in all the land there at grand ridge.
Any adelaide guys wanna get a car load together? B)

Jayse

That would be great if you can pull it off jayse, give us AHB members a chance to meet, chew the fat, then have a beer or 9...or more

Jovial_Monk said:
a competition that gives cash prizes is interesting, but those categories look weird

Specialty/High Gravity? So, comparing Lambic to Barley Wine?

Dark Ales/Lagers-lagers and ales in one category? can they be High Gravity?

Will have a porter that should be in good shape by the time of that comp

Jovial Monk
Like all comps - we have to make compromises. The comp has been going for yonks and is still quite popular - it doesn't have as many categories as the state comps so it means squeezing a few more in.

Look forward to tasting that porter at BeerFest.

Would be great to see a few crow eaters over here. You can generally just roll out a swag in the scout hall and have a shower in the footy club rooms. Otherwise try to book a room in one of the local hotels.

I have it on good authority that the $500 cash prize has been confirmed.

Gentlemen, start your starters.

hi sos
hope you can keep the reminder of this comp going as i wouldnt mind entering a few brews to see how i fair.feed back would be most excellant.may cost me a bit in freight but hey who gives a . ;)

cheers
big d

Well I already have dibs on the $500 but I am sure the other prizes will be worthwhile.

:D

My comments on the categories was meant to be constructive, hope you didn't take them any other way, sos

Might enter a stubby of RIS as well, it will only be 18mo by then, but still

JM

JM - if you want to offend me you will have to try harder than that.

I have updated the Beerfest page with collection points (all Victorian).

BTW don't get too excited about the $500 first prize - I am going to win that with my latest APA. I have it on good authority that there are quite a few other cool prizes, like 5 bags of Powells Malt - I will post the list of prizes and sponsors when I get the full list.

cheers

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
Where can we find the rules and entry criteria, dont seem to be on the website?
Vlad the entry form says:

"Entries must be submitted to collection points by Tuesday 1st February. All beers will be judged in accordance with VICBREW Style Guidelines. the Judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. No maximum number of entries per category but each entry must be a different sub-style. $5 entry fee per entry. Max. 1 entry per substyle"

I believe them's the rules. If you didn't see that it is the PDF entry form on the page I listed.

hi sos
try as i might i couldnt open the pdf for the entry form.any other way of getting it?

cheers
big d

ok.
collection points are a recent addition to the site, now I will do a search for Vicbrew guidelines, I love a bit of detective work.

What size bottles do they want/need ? 375ml, 500ml, 750ml ?
Finally do they accept PET bottles (I'm asking because some comps don't).
I think I'll enter in the Wheat and Specialty styles.

Beers,
Doc

PET bottles are accepted, I would suggest 600ml minimum but will try to find out.

Vicbrew guidelines use the same styles as AABA I believe.

Don't sweat, unless you are used to some weird FNQ comp I am sure you won't crash into the rules.

Re the PDF - anyone else having trouble with this? I will create another one, I have no trouble opening it with a recent Acrobat reader.

ive adobe and it doesnt touch it sos.may have to go acrobat

cheers
big d

Ok, all the sponsors and prizes are up on the beerfest webpage.

There is well over $1,000 worth of prizes thanks to the generous contributions of the sponsors.

I have had quite a few enquiries from interstate (including NT, NSW and SA so far) - your entries are most definitely welcome.

Given the level of interest from some quarters - you might be able to put the squeeze on a local brewshop to sponsor a nominal prize for best beer from your state.

Back