Beer Won't Carbonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_010

Curry Master
Reaction score
Hey I wonder if someone might have some ideas. I kegged a weizen last week and force carbed it like I usually do, max pressure, shaking/rolling on the floor for ~1 min then left the gas on 30psi for about 24 hours (this carbs my beers up normally). When I took a sample a few days later it was flat(ish), so I did it again. Another day, still flat(ish). I've checked the keg - she seems to be holding pressure as the reg shows the same pressure as I left it the day before with the gas line attached. I tested for leaks with soapy water, seems fine.

WTF is going on? I'm thinking to maybe change keg lids over to see if this makes a difference. I wouldn't think it's a blocked in-tube as it was letting gas in when I was force carbing. I'm a bit puzzled.

Cheers
Baz

If you pull up the pressure relief valve, does gas burst out?

If not, you have a leakage / blockage. If yes, how cold is your keg?

First of all - is it actually carbonated? Does it look flat but taste fizzy, or the other way round?

If you pull up the pressure relief valve, does gas burst out?

If not, you have a leakage / blockage. If yes, how cold is your keg?

Relief valve lets gas out so I've kind of dismissed the keg leaking. The keg has been in the fridge for a week.

First of all - is it actually carbonated? Does it look flat but taste fizzy, or the other way round?

It's a little carbonated but less than it ought to be given the amount of gas I've put through it. So something is going in, just doesn't seem to take it all or hold it.

maybe a partial blocked dip tube?? does it pour at the normal rate or seems slower??? you would think 300kpa of gas would blow any blockage in the beer out but maybe not.

Maybe pull apart the d/c and clean it and try another one it might not be pushing the pin right up and letting as much gas in. If it holds pressure overnight it should be alright I would look for blockages or maybe the gas is running out?

maybe a partial blocked dip tube?? does it pour at the normal rate or seems slower??? you would think 300kpa of gas would blow any blockage in the beer out but maybe not.

Maybe pull apart the d/c and clean it and try another one it might not be pushing the pin right up and letting as much gas in. If it holds pressure overnight it should be alright I would look for blockages or maybe the gas is running out?

Gas bottles nearly full, over 1000psi - I'm going to change the lid over tonight, then carbonate with some boiled dextrose and a little water, see what happens with that. Its just really frikken wierd.

I've been force carbing using the brewmate carbonation calculator over a 48 hour period and been getting a far better result. Here's a page or two that explains it.

Linky

Just a thought. Could you have over carbonated the beer?
I've done that in the past and the beer has been saturated with co2 and tasted flat.

I think the circlip has come out in the beer or gas posts on the keg

Probably not flat. Might just look that way. I would vote for overcarbing.

Probably not flat. Might just look that way. I would vote for overcarbing.

you may be right. I pulled a schooner and it tastes flatish, but there is definitely some bubbling happening. I left it for about ten minutes and there seems to be more bubbles happening, so I'm thinking of venting the keg over the next 24 hours and seeing how that goes. Never had that one before! Weird.

I've been force carbing using the brewmate carbonation calculator over a 48 hour period and been getting a far better result. Here's a page or two that explains it.

Linky

Sounds interesting. I'll have to pick your brain on this.

I'm intrigued by the overcarbing theory as I've always worked on the principle that the CO2 is at equilibrium at the keg pressure and the reason you get bubbles on pouring is due to the gas escaping to achieve equilibrium at the lower atmospheric pressure. Overcarbing therefore gives quicker release of the gas and more bubbles/foaming etc. I've only kegged for a few years and I'm willing to be proven wrong though. :D
I'd be setting my gas at the carb pressure/temp level you're after and then shutting off the gas. If the pressure drops your beer is either still absorbing gas (under carbed) or you have a leak (Note: this won't work if you've got a check valve in the gas line). I have noticed a perceived carb level between different styles of beers carbed at the same pressures, but I've always put this down to the mash and grain bill giving a different mouth feel.
BTW I carb the keg slowly over a week or two while I'm finishing off the previous ones.

Cheers,

BB

and if its over carbed it will force beer back into the line and regulator as you have removed the one way valve. even with a one way valve the reg should go down as the co2 will go past it but cant come back so if its leaking or undercarbed it should settle at the pressure in the keg.

Back