Beer Without Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having ancestors that cut a living off the land, this is a sad read for me. Even sadder is that this type of thing is happening to lots of crop industries. Technology means we are forever looking for a cheaper more convenient alternatives (in this case - liquid hop extracts).
Little wonder my family has not "worked the land" for 2 generations now.

Cheers

This is just one area where we craft brewers can help to keep traditional brewing practices alive. Sad that we may have to exclusively use imported hops before too long :(

This is just one area where we craft brewers can help to keep traditional brewing practices alive. Sad that we may have to exclusively use imported hops before too long

Yes, us and the microbreweries it seems.
A quick check of some Vic MBs shows:
The Mountain Goat pale ale is hopped to knock your socks off, but with (you guessed it) imported German Hallertau hops, & their IPA uses Pacific Gem from NZ, though to be fair it may be harder to source organic hops for the IPA.

3 Ravens use (imported) Fuggles, Hallertau & Saaz.

Holgate only mention "American" in their Mt Macedon Ale, & Saaz in their pilsener.

Goulburn brewery mightve started a trend. they don't put any hops at all in their stout.

"Little Creatures Pale Ale and Pilsner, James Squire Original Pilsener and India Pale Ale, and Matilda Bay Alpha Ale are among the bitterest of their respective styles in Australia. If you want to do your bit for the hop industry, seek them out."

Is Pride of Ringwood the only hop variety grown commercially/successfully in Australia? I'm sure Little Creatures don't use any Aussie hops for their Pale.

LC get there cascade from yakima dont they?

taflex said:
Is Pride of Ringwood the only hop variety grown commercially/successfully in Australia?
There are many varieties grown here, P.O.R is just the most infamous.
Some of the hop varieties are only known by a code as they are mainly just experimental stock.
Cascade and willamette are both grown here(albeit in relatively small quantities). Some one else may know of a few others that are also commercialy produced

Latest posts

Back