Beer With Food

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisey

Reaction score
Any got any beer combo's that they find is great with different foods?

I was making a spaghetti bol, and was thinking maybe a James squire Porter or Tooheys old would probably work well

Spicy food: pilsner, pilsener, India pale ale. Any European lager like Dab, Zywiec or Brok Sambor or an asian lager like Tsingtao
Hearty food (pies, stews, game dishes etc): Stout, porter, Bock, maybe a dubbel if you love super richness (might swing things out of balance for me)
Dessert: Dubbels and tripels, Weizenbocks, porter, sweet/milk stout
Barbecue: pils/lagers, well hopped pale ales, weizens, maybe a stout with the heartier meats.
Seafood: Similar to barbecue and spicy food.
Pork: Red ales, porters
Poultry (particularly richer poultry/game): Ambers, reds, golden ales

Personally I'd go the porter with a bolognaise although (heresy) it is hard to beat a good red wine with said dish. Beer and food are a great mix but since bolognaise is usually cooked with red wine (which forms a major part of the flavour profile too), my tendency would be to match it with the same.

Personally I'd go the porter with a bolognaise although (heresy) it is hard to beat a good red wine with said dish. Beer and food are a great mix but since bolognaise is usually cooked with red wine (which forms a major part of the flavour profile too), my tendency would be to match it with the same.
:icon_offtopic: +1 on a drier red in and with ragu alla bolognaise, there's been a number of times I've been served it without a red either in the sauce or a glass (or both even!) and it was just largely inedible muck. That's the whole point of the dish, its not just a friggin' tomato sauce with ground beef, pasta and a few 'erbs' FFS!

Edit: Sorry, that was a bit OT.

Yes I've had a few 'spaghettis with mince' and they're not so good.

Fresh herbs, fresh ripe tomatoes, loads of red wine, cooked slow for several hours (4-6 minimum) and often better the next day (like a good soup).

Leave the spag bog on the coals of the fire overnight. Then it's truly a cluggy, yet divine dish.

Beer goes good with food - I agree.
As does wine.

Chuck them both in just about any dish as well.

e.g.
Fry mushrooms (or even better haloumi) till almost done
Then saturate in just about any beer or wine
Cook down to a thin sauce
Serve with crusty bread, mushroom/cheese, beer-sauce and a bit of parsley and chives.

The simple things in life CAN be free (if you grow your own mushrooms)
Enjoy :icon_cheers:

(White Swt. Potato fried in Duck Fat is pretty awesome with a homebrew or two to marinade/drink with also!) ^_^

Latest posts

Back