Beer wars over as Coles pulls pin on discounts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaves them open to push the hard sell and low prices on their own range of shit craft beer...
Doesn't hurt that a lot of little guys have already bit the dust.

Does it really matter if they put up prices on VB and the like, only makes the difference between it and quality beer even less.

All the more reason to brew my own. The price of beer in Australia is completely fucked as it is.

they won't just put up the price on VB ect. i bet they up the price on all there stock... other than there own brands of course

It all boils down to the taxation issues around beer. It costs so much to make (excise) that prices rise & sales drop compared to wine.

It's a shame, craft breweries can pop up all over Australia but until pricing is dealt with it will not be sold to the masses.

If the masses wanted it they'd buy it anyway.

So the war is over at last! Who won?

Nobody won, less people drink beer, coles sells less products and the government loses tax money cause they are too greedy.

Edit: Maybe Woolies won?

Have these products been checked for horsemeat percentages yet? Could see the price come back down. :D

Well it's the typical Coles way of doing business unfortunately.
There is a constant push to raise the prices on name brand products across the entire retail range & they continue to add their own brands & fix the pricing on a downward spiral. The ball has been really rolling & picking up momentum in the last couple of years with their own branded products being sold at discounted prices forcing the majority of consumers to purchase the Coles brand against the inflated priced name brands.
I see this on a daily basis as I work there unfortunately.

Can the ACCC come in and thump Coles and Woolies for this?

I mean, picture a future (bright) where Carlton is Cole's bitch, and bogans have to drive to a brewery to buy a slab of VB because Coles no longer stocks it.

Sounds like CUB will be making Coles Brand beer and Lion will be making Woolies Brand beer in a few years.

Perhaps IGA will stock craftbreweries beer?

Thump Coles for not providing sale prices? I doubt it.

Blitzer said:
Thump Coles for not providing sale prices? I doubt it.
I mean thump Coles if they intend to shift their beer stock to 50% their own brands...

Nick JD said:
Can the ACCC come in and thump Coles and Woolies for this?

I mean, picture a future (bright) where Carlton is Cole's bitch, and bogans have to drive to a brewery to buy a slab of VB because Coles no longer stocks it.

Sounds like CUB will be making Coles Brand beer and Lion will be making Woolies Brand beer in a few years.

Perhaps IGA will stock craftbreweries beer?
The ACCC won't do jack shit.
They're as useless as tits on a bull.
You're not far off with the major breweries doing Coles brand beer. No one's doing it & it's an opening for one of them to jump in. It will happen.
I doubt if IGA or any independent grocer will ever stock Craft Beer. These guys operate at inflated profit margins & simply wouldn't be able to make the mark up that they make on everything else. Coles & the other major retailers rely on the turn over at the expense of profit margin whereas the small retail grocers are targeting the convenience factor of their business at the expense of turn over.

I don't buy slabs of megaswill so I'm finding it hard to give a f@ck about this.

Crusty said:
I doubt if IGA or any independent grocer will ever stock Craft Beer.
According to AHB legend, one of the IGAs on the Mornington Peninsula used to stock Schlenkerla from time to time. Imagine such a thing!

Blitzer said:
Nobody won, less people drink beer, coles sells less products and the government loses tax money cause they are too greedy.

Edit: Maybe Woolies won?
Who cares? Just don't mention us. (Taps finger to the side of nose) B)

Back