Beer wars over as Coles pulls pin on discounts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would be alright if they applied this principle to the Milk industry.

bum said:
According to AHB legend, one of the IGAs on the Mornington Peninsula used to stock Schlenkerla from time to time. Imagine such a thing!
i dont know about the peninsula but the iga in yarra glen has usually got quite a good selection of craft beer.

bum said:
If the masses wanted it they'd buy it anyway.

So the war is over at last! Who won?
Private label beers perhaps?

BEERHOG said:
i dont know about the peninsula but the iga in yarra glen has usually got quite a good selection of craft beer.
**** I wish that IGAs / Foodworks etc were allowed to stock alcohol in QLD.

It is technically another shop but still attached. You can't chuck a box of beer in the trolley with your bananas and stuff (they'd bruise).

dont get me wrong here, Im not a defender of either (and dont buy beer through them very often at all) but the woolies near me stocks quitea few IPA's and a fair selection of craft beers.. I was surprised by the range when I went in there with a workmate who was setting up a work function... (took me along to buy the beer :beerbang: )

Yob said:
dont get me wrong here, Im not a defender of either (and dont buy beer through them very often at all) but the woolies near me stocks quitea few IPA's and a fair selection of craft beers.. I was surprised by the range when I went in there with a workmate who was setting up a work function... (took me along to buy the beer :beerbang: )
Yeah it's weird. Woolies has stepped up its liquor game big time. I can get my hands on better craft beer at Woolworths Liquor than I can at specialty places like Vintage Cellars etc.

Nick JD said:
Can the ACCC come in and thump Coles and Woolies for this?

I mean, picture a future (bright) where Carlton is Cole's bitch, and bogans have to drive to a brewery to buy a slab of VB because Coles no longer stocks it.

Sounds like CUB will be making Coles Brand beer and Lion will be making Woolies Brand beer in a few years.

Perhaps IGA will stock craftbreweries beer?
Sounds like it's happening already if you ask me, just not using CUB or Lion......

Coles = Steamrail = Independent Distillers
Woolies = Sail & Anchor = Gage Roads

Notice how much shelf space they occupy now?

Notice they are priced much lower than competing craft beers? (Not that I consider these crafty beers craft).

It's the begining of the end people, notice how both Woolies and Coles now jack the price of all NZ Sav Blancs to $20, except for their private label brands, which are $5-7 cheaper?

Same deal.

GalBrew said:
Sounds like it's happening already if you ask me, just not using CUB or Lion......

Coles = Steamrail = Independent Distillers
Woolies = Sail & Anchor = Gage Roads

Notice how much shelf space they occupy now?

Notice they are priced much lower than competing craft beers? (Not that I consider these crafty beers craft).

It's the begining of the end people, notice how both Woolies and Coles now jack the price of all NZ Sav Blancs to $20, except for their private label brands, which are $5-7 cheaper?

Same deal.
And take a guess what they're making FAR more margin on...

GalBrew said:
It's the begining of the end people...
...of what?

IMO, it's a change from CUB shitwater to Coles shitwater with a colourful label, neither of which I buy.

If Woollies buys Craftbrewer (and Ross gets his fourth Ferrari) and sells only Coles Brand Barrett Burston and Pride of Ringworm relabeled as "Aussie Gold" I'll get a shotgun and google my closest Mall.

Nick JD said:
...of what?

IMO, it's a change from CUB shitwater to Coles shitwater with a colourful label, neither of which I buy.

If Woollies buys Craftbrewer (and Ross gets his fourth Ferrari) and sells only Coles Brand Barrett Burston and Pride of Ringworm relabeled as "Aussie Gold" I'll get a shotgun and google my closest Mall.
Of course both are shitwater, but the respective retailers have far more flexibility with the ability to loss lead in the short term with their 'crafty' immitations while they jack up the prices of other 'shitwater' such as VB, cartlon draught, Tooheys new etc. which Coles has come out and admitted by 'pulling the pin'. Once they get the megaswillers onto their private label 'crafties' they are then free to jack the price up of those (and everything else) to dramatically increase their profit margin on beer. Everyone will suffer, craft brewers, mega brewers, other retailers and of course the consumer. It's the begining of the end of 'cheap' (and I use that term relatively) beer in Australia. Once Coles and Woolies have sunk their claws nice and deep into the beer market, they will be able to further control its manufacture, distribution and sale. I hope you all like the taste of Steamrail and Sail & Anchor because in a couple of decades that's all that may be left!

It will be shotguns for all then......

One thing most people never remember is that the Federal Govt has no power to control prices whatsoever. It just isn't a power vested in them under our Constitution.
So long as a business' activity is not anti-competive or misleading, they are free to charge what they like.
Anyone ever notice how many pollies are keen to attack businesses over pricing, but nothing ever happens, because they are totally impotent when it comes to pricing! Witness petrol watch, grocery watch etc etc etc, totally useless tax wasting activities designed to fool the bulk of voters and make pollies look good, without achieving anything useful.

God, this is depressing. I'm taking a lead from Gerard Depardieu and moving to Belgium. My liver may not last long but hey they have legalised euthenasia there as well as fantastic beer.

Having lived in Australia for 35 years I have always been puzzled by the lack of supermarket brand beers - they've been doing it in the UK since I was a lad. In fact the COOP society even had their own brewery back in the 60s.

supermarket beer 4.jpg

supermarket beer 1.jpg

supermarket beer 2.jpg

supermarket beer 3.jpg

supermarket beer 5.jpg

Bribie G said:
Having lived in Australia for 35 years I have always been puzzled by the lack of supermarket brand beers - they've been doing it in the UK since I was a lad. In fact the COOP society even had their own brewery back in the 60s.
And thats why you did a runner , right ??

Back