Beer Turned Cloudy Near End Of Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
I am near the end of my first ever Keg and I have had a German Pilsner FWK in there which has been crystal clear the whole time... Yesterday I poured a glass and it was very cloudy... basically like a cloudy pale ale... Still tastes OK but not as clean as before. I just poured another and it is exactly the same.

Just wondering what this might be? I would have thought that the first few glasses would have this issue, not the last few?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

ps... sick of only 1 keg so 3 beers fermenting as we speak... About to hit CC for a few days... This is the last time I will face no more kegged beer! lol

i always thought it was because you shake the keg to see how close to empty it is that it stirs up all the sediment

i always thought it was because you shake the keg to see how close to empty it is that it stirs up all the sediment

I don't do this the first hint i get is a glass full of foam and that dreaded noise of a hollow beer line. F*%#it there goes another good beer.
Why do we swear at the good beers when they're gone? :icon_drool2:

Ps: Camo1234 if your not doing the sediment shake thing maybe you drank most of it before the keg was chilled fully
and then the chill haze showed up! :beerbang:

I use to have this problem too.

I find if I CC the beer before i keg I do not get the yeast surprise at the end.

Yeah not sure what the issue is... The keg has been there for a few weeks so definitely chilled... Its a Craft Brewer FWK so would be surprised if it had chill haze... As I said it was crystal clear up till now..... I also cc'd it for a week after a slow 5 week ferment at 9c :icon_cheers:

The culprit must be the shake to see how close to empty it is.... Does the yeast settle at the top of the keg? Wouldn't it settle at the bottom and be pulled through as you go through the keg?

Will just have to go through more kegs to see what the issue really is! :icon_drunk:

Will just have to go through more kegs to see what the issue really is! :icon_drunk:

+1 quality control is the way to go
how else will you find your problem :icon_cheers:

The culprit must be the shake to see how close to empty it is.... Does the yeast settle at the top of the keg? Wouldn't it settle at the bottom and be pulled through as you go through the keg?

after opening up my kegs there is always sediment settled upon the larger concave area of the bottom that hasn't been sucked up the
dip tube

I find the first couple of glasses out of a new keg are a bit cloudy then clear until the last glass which comes out cloudy
maybe its because as the beer level gets down to the bottom of the dip tube it creates a greater flow across the beer surface stirring up any sediment also over gassing the remaining beer,if you let the glass sit for a while it clears but with a sediment layer on the bottom of the glass

Back