Beer transfer from Growler to Corny Keg??

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeG89

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Can you fill a Corny Keg with Growlers (that you brought from a brewery)??
Sorry if it seems a silly question, I'm still learning the CAN/CAN'T and DO/DON'Ts..
I don't homebrew myself, I just have a kegerator system and usually buy kegs.
However the beers that I'm wanting, you can't buy in the quantity of a keg anywhere.
I've even spoken to the breweries directly and majority of them, don't do fills larger then a 2L Growler. And I can buy/get filled as many 2L growlers as I want from them but they won't fill a 19L corny keg.

Any knowledge, help, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

No. At least, not if you want it to taste like the beer you paid for. It'll be very badly oxidised and pretty much undrinkable in (much) less than a week.

^ What he said.

The only way it may almost work, is if you used something like a pressurised growler, then ensured they did a closed/CO2-purged transfer (doubt it), and then you did a closed transfer to your own keg.

While I know it's not what you're asking for, I think if someone didn't at least try to convince you to brew some beer, this thread would be a waste.

How about you pick up a fresh wort kit, a packet of yeast, and bend your dip tube up slightly (or get a floating one) and ferment it in (and serve it from) one of your kegs? 19 L of much fresher beer for less than $50.

Back