Beer Tops Men's Shopping List

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
From The Age today.

Prising a beer out of an Aussie man's hand is as difficult as getting him to give up takeaway food or visits to the hairdresser.

As for her, she would sooner give up gourmet coffee than leave the car at home and jump on the bus - despite the rising cost of fuel.

A survey on Australian spending habits revealed Aussies are making savvy financial choices so they can hold on to life's little luxuries.

The Discretionary Spending Study, by National Australia Bank, found Aussies were least likely to brew their own beer, dye their own hair or ditch takeaway meals in order to save $150.

Aussies were instead saving in other ways - using shop-a-dockets, putting money in high interest savings accounts, giving up the morning takeaway coffee, using low rate credit cards and buying no name groceries to get more bang for their buck.

All consumer transactions were driven by thoughts of how the consumer could best maintain or enhance their lifestyle in some small way, according to marketing lecturer at Sydney's University of Technology Francine Garlin.

"We are looking at this collective lifestyle, which is a reflection of where we are in terms of our cultural and social values, when it comes to what we see as being important in life," Garlin said.

"We tend to be quite high in materialism in this country, as well as the need for immediate gratification.

"All of those things . . . are very much painting this picture of wanting to maintain and enhance the lifestyle that we now collectively value as a society, and we're prioritising."

Garlin said while consumers were willing to forego buying brand name groceries or the morning cup of coffee, they were choosing to spend their cash on things that said "look at what I achieved".

They included flashy items such as cars, holidays and electronic gear.

"That's quite a significant value segment in Australian society and I really don't see that sort of falling by the wayside," she said.

"What's been happening is that we've been seeing manufacturers come up very, very quickly with entry-level type of luxury products like your home entertainment systems and your dvds, so now people are able to actually enter into those sorts of categories which are essentially luxury goods.

"People who are perhaps not as high in socioeconomic profile can still get in on the entry level with some of these luxury categories."

Despite a waning love affair with beefy, petrol-guzzling V8s and 4WDs, Garlin said Australians loved their cars too much to ditch them all together.

She also said Australians were usually lousy when it came to saving their hard earned money.

"As a nation we tend to be not very good savers and we tend to be very much, I think, living in the present," Garlin said.

"This is why we've got compulsory superannuation in place - because we're not very good at it."

Garlin said apart from not wanting to give up beer, Aussie spending habits were similar to those of people from other western countries.

johnno said:
The Discretionary Spending Study, by National Australia Bank, found Aussies were least likely to brew their own beer, dye their own hair or ditch takeaway meals in order to save $150.

[post="81383"][/post]​

The report I read two days ago said New South Welshmen were less likely that Queenslanders to brew their own to save money.

The report I read two days ago said New South Welshmen were less likely that Queenslanders to brew their own to save money.
[post="81388"][/post]​
[/quote]

Jeeezz! never even crossed my mind that home breewing was about saving money. Its a hobby with a very drinkable outcome.

Is it only non homebrewers who think its about saving money, or is that the motivation for many here?

pb

On a list of 1-10, brewing beer to save money probably comes in at around 20!! :D

with the cost of building an all grain system SWMBO might need to be convinced it is a money "saving" activity.

Beer definitely tops my shopping list. Wherever I go shopping with my missus, I still look at every item and evaluate its use in my "brauhause".

When I retired, I thought I might be able to save by buying a kit. I think that was my biggest mistake. I soon got hooked and learned the hard way that this is a hobby and not just a quick fix. The amount you spend on it is up to you, but it never seems to be enough....

:beerbang:
PeterS....

I don't brew to save money- if that was the reason I would have stopped three brews ago. However, I brew because of the joy of making something; and the joy of cracking open that first stubby of the batch... nice. It's a great hobby and I have a lot of fun making beer.

Besides, I've spent a lot on this hobby

Back