Beer to sweet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkey brewing

Reaction score
hey ya fellow brewers, I have a batch that’s aged now for 8 months consists off:
Coopers ipa tin
Dextrose 500g
Dark dry malt 500g
Citra, centennial & mosiac hops @20g each
Hops steeped for 15minutes in kettle boiled water in the empty tin off goo.
Filled to 23 litres, brew temp 21c
US05 yeast
4.2% abv

Anyhow it’s to sweet for my liking, what do I need to to this recipe to make it not so sweet?

This was my 3rd batch out of 6 batch’s I have done, it’s the only one that to sweet

This is the brew as of today, just to sweet

Attachments

• 13DBD8F8-0413-4183-9C86-3CDE7D0118E4.jpeg
    13DBD8F8-0413-4183-9C86-3CDE7D0118E4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
Hope you kept records, otherwise its all guesswork.
What were the OG and FG, finger counting says 1.043 and 1.011 give/take
Puts your attenuation in the 74-75% range, not high but not ridiculously low either, you could have chosen a more aggressive yeast like S-04, would have dropped the FG a touch, less Dark Malt which always leaves a bit of a caramel/toffee sweetness.

Check your hydrometer, make sure you are using it properly (go YouTube), bring some along to the next club meeting and get some more opinions (HUB).
Remember the first rule of Brewers Opinions "Ask 3 brewers and you will get at least 4 opinions"
Mark

Hope you kept records, otherwise its all guesswork.
What were the OG and FG, finger counting says 1.043 and 1.011 give/take
Puts your attenuation in the 74-75% range, not high but not ridiculously low either, you could have chosen a more aggressive yeast like S-04, would have dropped the FG a touch, less Dark Malt which always leaves a bit of a caramel/toffee sweetness.

Check your hydrometer, make sure you are using it properly (go YouTube), bring some along to the next club meeting and get some more opinions (HUB).
Remember the first rule of Brewers Opinions "Ask 3 brewers and you will get at least 4 opinions"
Mark
Yeah I have notes
Og was 1040, FG 1010, was left in primary for 2 weeks. It’s drinkable, just could be better and that’s the joy of brewing, but I’d rather repeat the process and tweak the recipe to counter act the sweetness, even if just changing the yeast strain, even though it’s just a kit beer with adjunks I have made some good kits and adjunk brews, appreciate the advice mark thanks again

You can make some very good beer with kits, no just about it. I have some fond memories of the first version of the Coopers IPA, not sure its the same now, was pretty heavy on the Stryan Goldings.
I would recommend S-04 for a bit more attenuation (dryer beer), try LDME in place of DDME.
You are already adding taste hops (steeped) which should help to.
You could up the bitterness a bit, boil some hops (say 10g) in water for 45-60 minutes, just a simmer will do, tends to hide sweetness.
Glad you have notes, always a big help when you want to tweak a brew.
M

Latest posts

Back