Beer Tasting St. Arnou Tonight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
From 6.30pm tonight at the Arthouse pub theres a St Arnou beer tasting and talk.
Don't know any more than that, but heading down for a brew anyway.

Bugger. Just got home out to the suburbs to see the post.
Oh well have a couple for me Mike.

Beers,
Doc

I dropped into st arnou's when i was in melbourne last.
That pilsener is suuuperb :chug:

Would love to know how the evening went

:chug: It was very well attended, packed to the rafters would be another way of putting it. I hope I remember this right..here goes
First up was there Premium Blonde- you could keep going back to the bar for unlimited refils (Rest assured I had a couple for you Doc) and a nice bit of spicy squid came out to accompany it. A guy claiming to be AUstralias only beer sommelier was trying to give some background to the beers and styles through an inadequate sound system , so other than the odd mention of Saaz or Wheat malt I missed what he was saying.
The remainder of the beers were served from jugs by waiters wandering the bar refilling peoples glasses.
Next up there was a Pale Ale which seemed to have quite a bit of residual sweetness and seemed very simular to the Ale fresh wort kit produced at St. Peters. It went really well with the provided snacks of chicken suasages(?) Even though I didn't like the beer as such.
The St. Cloud followed , this has a bit of a bi-carb after taste and mild bannana nose. It was served with crab and corn cakes.
The pilsner was very clean and tasty, its one of their beers I've had before but the real surprise was the Kildara Irish red ale. A very pleasant burnt smokey aftertaste but a fairly light body for such a dark beer, this was served with beef rarebit.
By this time things were getting blurry & I wasn't even going for it, just regular pace drinking, luckily the missus met some old school friends there and lost interest in beer after the first couple so I had the car sorted because I didn't realise how generous the St Arnou team are. It pays to get on their email list.
At MSB get togethers its usually one freebie and you buy the rest...

Nice review Mike - Cheers.

Sounded like it was well worth going. Was there a door charge - if not, that's a pretty generous evening for them to put on.

If you RSVP'd via the net it was free, others had to pay
$20 or $10 if you were a member(?)

not long ago i enjoyed a st-cloud at a little bar/lounge type thingy in martin place.. from memory it wasn't to bad, had the usual wheat refreshment for a hot midday sun.!!
(although after the pain of a work meeting with barristers etc anything would have eased the stress i was feeling).

also the captain cook.. just up from lord nelson has premium blonde at low prices.

Got all excited by this, so sent an email to the contact guy in the Melbourne branch:
Hi, I see from a home brewing forum that I'm a member of that St Arnou recently had a tasting night up in Sydney- click the link to read the comments:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...t=0&#entry49332
Anyway, I have been into the Little Collins St. bar a couple of times, and was wondering if you were planning on hosting anything similar in the future. I checked the website for info but couldn't see anything mentioned. Is there a mailing list of some sort?
cheers
Waiting with bated breath...will let you know when I get a response.

When I was in Melbourne for a few weeks for work in nov/dec last year I was staying at the Saavoy (I think) which is just 1 block from the St Arnou in Little Collins.
Really liked their pale ale and pilsener.
Wit was ok but still don't like a slice of orange in my beer :)

I had the blonde on tap a few months ago at the Exchange in Balmain and didn't think much of that at all. Pretty bland really. It was the only St Arnou they had on tap

The ale would be my fave (I prefer ales generally anyway)

Rich

Back