Beer Tasting Near Freo.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries Pat.Will do soon.Just had another roster change which will include night shift and the possibility of going back to wed - wed roster which will see me good to getting back to some West Coast Brewers meetings.Hopefully it will all settle down and i can sort out some social beer drinking time.

Cheers
Dave

See you then Simon :icon_cheers:

Looking forward to your roster change Dave :icon_cheers:

and also to a beer with Andrew next weekend (we need a fingers crossed icon :huh:

Spot!

Hey PP,

Thanks for the PM but i'll be otherwise occupied today installing retic and putting some grass down in the backyard.

Have a good time everybody.

Rob.

Rob, be careful putting grass down in the backyard, I think they use air surveillance these days. Growing it indoors hydroponically with a temp controller may be safer :eek:.

While it would have been tops, as always, to see you and the others above who couldn't make it, NME and CDJ rolled up for a beer and whilst this was the smallest brewer's gathering at PP's ever, I really enjoyed it. Very relaxing for me.

The three of us tasted ten beers and CDJ and I found two others later. I think ten out of the 12 were enjoyable to really enjoyable with just two of them being fair. No shockers though.

CDJ brought along samples of a kit, a partial and a commercial. His brews were both very high up on the list with not a hint of extract twang and one of these was a Munich Helles! His partial amarillo ale I personally think was about 30% better than my all-grain one. His had a lot more, ""zest"" - yum! I have hidden a bottle of his away for later comparison.

NME brought along a few commercials, one of them being the Moo Brew. That was up among the best of the day so, of course, I hid a bottle of that for later as well ;). He also brought a Black Wattle Original Ale which was highly praised by a wide variety of NME's mates. It actually has wattle in it. If my memory serves me correctly, it had a smokiness to it but I could be wrong as this was one of the last tastings.

Anyway, to summarise the day, even with just 3 people, I really enjoyed it. Carlos and Simon, it was a real pleasure to meet you and I'll certainly look forward to our next beers. Good on us!

We also had a bit of a chat about future meetings but I'll write about that in a separate post below to keep things simple.

Spot!
Pat

Onya Pat :D

Thanks again for a good afternoon! I'm still stuffed from all the steak :p
Great beers today!! Certainly a lot to aspire too. I'll make sure I have some of mine ready for next time :)

You de man NME!

Doogiechap just called and he is heading for my place! Oh no!!!!

PP - Over and Out!

You de man NME!

Doogiechap just called and he is heading for my place! Oh no!!!!

PP - Over and Out!

Thanks for having us Pat! Just recovering from yesterday...good beers and stakes! Definitvely up for the next one. Perhaps a post on your Kolsch recipe?? That was a treat for me...

Cheers

[Will do a post consecutive to this one re future meets.]

No worries CDJ. Great to meet you guys. The Kolsh recipe was stolen from LloydieP but I'm sure he'd be happy to see it passed on. It was...

LloydieP's Kolsch Recipe

Original Gravity = 1.050
Pilsner Malt 75%
Vienna Malt 20%
Caramel Pils 5%

IBU = 29.4
NZ Pacific Hallertau (5.3%) 2/3rds of hop bill at at 60 minutes to give 26.5 IBU (eg around 40grams for a single batch)
NZ Pacific Hallertau (5.3%) 1/3rd of hop bill at 10 minutes to give 2.9 IBU (eg around 20grams for a single batch)

[Will do a post consecutive to this one re future meets.]

No worries CDJ. Great to meet you guys. The Kolsh recipe was stolen from LloydieP but I'm sure he'd be happy to see it passed on. It was...
Hey you steal all your recipes :super: PP You should be in Saigon , boy the women make me :icon_drool2: Walking around with a boner all day is tiring!
GB

I knew it wasn't just the spicy food that made you take the 3rd trip this year Nev?

Future Meets

On Saturday, we had a bit of a yarn about ideas for future meets. One thing that came up (and I think Lloyd would like this idea) was to initially learn what flavours various base malts and hops impart. After this we could move onto other malts, yeasts and combinations - a beginners course in ingredients as it were. I can ask a few guys I consider, 'ingredient experts,' the best way to go about this but it would need a core group of people willing to run or participate in an experiment or two. A core group of 5 people would do it I'm sure and these can be any brewer from kit to grain..

Anyone who doesn't have the time to contribute to the actual experiments but who would like to come along and taste the results and taste other brewers'beers might compensate the others by bringing along a few extra beers to the meetings or something???

Does this plan sound OK?

If so put your name down here and we'll see if we can get something interesting happening before the end of the year. (Put a note beside your name re your desired particpation level.)

1. PistolPatch (can host a meeting, plan some experiments and particpate in a few of them.)

Oh deary me Skip. I am just shaking my head from side to side. Maybe we should make Nev our Saigon correspondent :D

I knew it wasn't just the spicy food that made you take the 3rd trip this year Nev?
The food is good also and I know half of the beer people of Saigon now.Went to a new Micro last night with a German friend.A Czeck style brewery called the Gammer. www.biatuoitiepun.com
GB
Saigon

1. PistolPatch (can host a meeting, plan some experiments and participate in a few of them.)
2. NME (can host a meeting, plan some experiments and participate in a few of them.)

1. PistolPatch (can host a meeting, plan some experiments and participate in a few of them.)
2. NME (can host a meeting, plan some experiments and participate in a few of them.)
3. Churchy (can come and listen and drink your beer and eat your food and also bring some beer along.)

Future Meets

On Saturday, we had a bit of a yarn about ideas for future meets. One thing that came up (and I think Lloyd would like this idea) was to initially learn what flavours various base malts and hops impart. After this we could move onto other malts, yeasts and combinations - a beginners course in ingredients as it were. I can ask a few guys I consider, 'ingredient experts,' the best way to go about this but it would need a core group of people willing to run or participate in an experiment or two. A core group of 5 people would do it I'm sure and these can be any brewer from kit to grain..

Anyone who doesn't have the time to contribute to the actual experiments but who would like to come along and taste the results and taste other brewers'beers might compensate the others by bringing along a few extra beers to the meetings or something???

Does this plan sound OK?

If so put your name down here and we'll see if we can get something interesting happening before the end of the year. (Put a note beside your name re your desired particpation level.)

1. PistolPatch (can host a meeting, plan some experiments and particpate in a few of them.)
This is a really good idea PP, and there are some styles that lend themselves to it. Something like an APA might be a good start coming into summer; you can do a big (ie full bag of grain) mash with a really simple grain bill, then divvy the wort up and everyone single hop boil and flavour/aroma to same IBUs. It's a good way to find out the difference between Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Chinook, Northern Brewer, Amarillo, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin etc. Ferment all with 1056 to the same temps to end up with similarly attenuated beers and voila. If you get enough participants, you can run combos of differing boil/aroma hops. If you get even more, you can add in things like a bit of rye, or use an English base like MO or GP around a tolerant hop strain.

3. Churchy (can come and listen and drink your beer and eat your food and also bring some beer along.)
4. Cubbie (as above but I would also bring food - I have limited availability over the next month)

Sorry I could not make this one hope to get to the next one though sounds like a good day was had by all

Latest posts

Back