Beer Tasting Near Freo.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LLoyd

Reaction score
Is any one near freo WA, interested in semi regular beer tastings?
I've done a few by myself on someones recommendation, and been surprised at how much I've written by the time I'm finished (for my limited ability).
I reckon this would be better with more people. More beers could be tasted. I reckon I'd learn a bit more being able to discuss them with both noobs like myself and more experienced brewers/drinkers.
I'm thinking commercial and HB. Each meet could be a different style.
Any ideas?

Cheers
Lloydie

Yeah What a great idea, as long as I can get there by train.Tasting notes on the day may make it more official and interesting.We can talk about it more next weekend.Rate the venue, food and the beers?
GB

I am interested, always want to learn more about beers, need more info though, semi regular meetings would be good as I have work shifts.

Cool. How about we do the cut and paste thing?

1. Lloydie
2. Katie

Great to see you making this happen Lloydie. For me, this is a great excuse to meet up, learn and have fun without the hassle of doing a full on brew day.

Here's a few thoughts on a way I think that it could be run...

Firstly, I would mainly have the focus on home brews rather than commercials, especially imports. As brewers, we are mainly interested in getting feedback on our own beers. Also, in my experience, home brews are way better than what ends up on our shelves here.

Secondly, I would not specify a particular style for each meeting. Most brewers have a few favourite styles and may even dislike a broad range of other styles. I certainly wouldn't turn up to any saison or sour beer sessions!!!

Thirdly, it is pretty much impossible to taste a beer accurately when tasting them consecutiveley especially if you get a dud to start with. So, beers need to be tasted together and alone to get the most accurate feedback.

Bearing in mind the above three things, how about this for a draft format based on 8 attendees?...

(For the inaugural meeting, all participants need to choose a readily available commercial beer. All participants will have to buy one bottle of this beer and the suggestee will need to buy an extra 3 'control' bottles to bring along to the first meet. All else below follows from this.)

1. Meet once a month at someone's house. Rotate this. Host provides crackers.
2. Each attendee brings one bottle of beer for each attendee to take home from the meeting and retains 3 bottles for the next meeting.
3. Prior to each meeting, attendees will have tasted 8 bottles of beer and made notes on the beer in any format they like. They should bring 8 copies of their notes to the meeting so as others can take these notes on each beer home. These should then be distributed.
4. The 8 beers can now be reviewed using the 3 "control" bottles. Of course, an appropriate order of tasting should be decided upon.

The end result of all this is attendees get to taste 8 beers alone and in their own time prior to each meeting. They then get 7 other people's notes on those 8 beers and also get to re-taste them in the group environment.

The main pleasure of all this, apart from the educational side, is that all attendees will have at least one beer they are interested in whilst still enjoying the general talk about brewing that will naturally result.

Where the commercials/imports come in is when a brewer does not have 11 bottles (8+3) of their own beer to bring along. In that case, they should buy 11 bottles of their favourite beer. The inaugural meeting will require all of us to do this.

Was that any help? Make sense?

I am interested, always want to learn more about beers, need more info though, semi regular meetings would be good as I have work shifts.

Faryg... good to see a newbie on the scene.... all ways great to meet brewers.

wooo a club to rival WCB!

RR do you have to be an elistist knob! :eek:

edit: snob

be good to catch up again Steve....

Hope my post above doesn't sound too formal as I hope the attendees of this end up being the most laid back and informal bunch of brewers we can get! (The biggest organisational problem could well be the taxis home :lol: )

The above draft was based on only 8 brewers in the Freo area but I'm sure there will be a lot more interested in either actively or passiveley participating so let's see if the list grows and see if we can modify any plans to suit the numbers.

So far...

Cool. How about we do the cut and paste thing?

1. Lloydie
2. Katie
3. PistolPatch
4. GryphonBrewing
5. Stevem01
6. faryg

...Here's a few thoughts on a way I think that it could be run...yadda...yadda..yadda..yadda...fell asleep, watched the footy, did my knitting, read war and peace, TWICE...yadda...yadda....Was that any help? Make sense?

:huh:

Your one of a kind PP! FFS PP it's an informal get together get a little hammered, discus pro's and cons of beer and enjoy the company.

(not everyone has to be a Victorian :ph34r: )

Chap Chap

It's all good, better a long PP post once every blue moon than a novel every 15mins (time required to write said novel).

Especially when it doesn't apply to you .... :ph34r:

Now we've just got to put up with this drunk irreverent QLD'er posting in every thread :lol:

I's going fishing...

For now i'm thinking, 1) Turn up bring a beer (enough for everyone to have a taste) homebrew commercial whatever.
2) Have a yak about them
3) We'll throw on some grub
4) Catch a cab home.

PP while that's happening we can organise a proper tasting group that we discussed last night, cos that's something I reckon we'll get heaps out
of. :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Lloydie

Sounds great mate! To be honest, I actually wouldn't enjoy getting right into tasting notes etc. I just like finding beers that I like and having a yarn with brewers I like. Perfect!

How can we get single girls to this thing?

:)

Latest posts

Back