Beer Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul

Reaction score
In the Celli tap thread its mentioned that with forward sealing taps the beer thats in the tap will go sour and the first part of the pour needs to be thrown out.

Could someone please explain why the beer thats in the tap will go sour?

Well they are rear sealing taps, and with that the beer is kept further back in the fridge/freezer thus keeping it cooler and therefore not sending the beer sour. The problem some blokes are having is with the rear sealing tap is the left over beer in the front has been drying out and causng some sticking, thats why we flush with a syringe and water. But most dont have this problem and I think its manly happening with people who equip is outside?

Steve

In the Celli tap thread its mentioned that with forward sealing taps the beer thats in the tap will go sour and the first part of the pour needs to be thrown out.

I would assume this would happen due to it getting warm if the taps are not mounted to a flooded font. Other than that you shouldn't have a problem as the beer is not exposed to air.

Anyone with any other ideas let us know I am keen to hear this aswell.

Pok

A bottle or can of beer doesnt go off if its warm so beer in a tap shouldnt.

...because it's sat in the warm (depending on where you live) ... It won't turn sour over night & will depend on the beers age in the first place...& a low alcohol bitter will fair worse than a more robust beer... Finally, regularly cleaned taps/lines will decrease the chance as well.

Cheers Ross

QUOTE (Pumpy @ Feb 22 2008, 06:10 AM)
I suppose if the taps are in the heat in a garage better to have the beer at the back of the tap than the front of the tap

Pumpy

Very good point Pumpy & something I always mention when people call to discuss their tap options.

If you use the taps rarely, would you rather a potential sticky tap (if not cleaned) or a tap full of potential soured beer?
My font has Shirrons & if I've not poured from for a while the 1st beer poured needs throwing away & the glass rinsed, despite my font being gycoled chilled 24 hrs a day. As the Australian distributor for both taps, I'm equally happy to sell either, but IMO the Celli's features win hands down on a fridge set up.

Cheers Ross

Taken from the Stuck Celli thread!

Pour a beer from your tap & leave it in a bottle for a week in the heat....

Typically, homebrewed bottled beer is naturally carbonated & is "alive", whereas a force carbed kegged beer is basically "dead". On the commercial front, force carbed beers that are pasterurised will last well (years) & the unpasterurised micro beers just months (if kept well).

+++

Go to a pub that doesn't regulary clean its lines/taps & you'll taste the difference...

Cheers Ross

QUOTE (paul @ Feb 23 2008, 07:52 AM)

Pour a beer from your tap & leave it in a bottle for a week in the heat....

Typically, homebrewed bottled beer is naturally carbonated & is "alive", whereas a force carbed kegged beer is basically "dead". On the commercial front, force carbed beers that are pasterurised will last well (years) & the unpasterurised micro beers just months (if kept well).

+++

Go to a pub that doesn't regulary clean its lines/taps & you'll taste the difference...

Cheers Ross

Ross
I am going to disagree with nearly everything you said!

Pour a beer from your tap & leave it in a bottle for a week in the heat..
Let's come back to this one.

Typically, homebrewed bottled beer is naturally carbonated & is "alive", whereas a force carbed kegged beer is basically "dead".
Up to the second comma, no problem, but why would creating the conditions that the yeast creates kill it?
To test this if anyone out there wants to shake up a keg to mobilise the fine sediment and run some cloudy beer out the tap and into a starter - see if it fires up over the next week.

On the commercial front, force carbed beers that are pasterurised will last well (years)
The Holey Grail of commercial packaging is to have beer fit to sell after about 1 year - not years.
The main reason being that it is impossible to remove all the oxygen; free oxygen acts like a free radical basically going around demolishing flavour molecules, this tied to the damage caused by any surviving micro-organisms, severely limits the life of "Pasteurised beer".

& the unpasterurised micro beers just months (if kept well).
Generally this is because of poor infection control; the difficulty that small breweries have packaging beer with low enough levels of micro-organisms to insure long package life are daunting, but not insurmountable.
The better ones have this well in hand and I think most of the good ones are moving to better packaging practices - and that we will see more stable long life beers as these breweries get control of their processes.

Last tasting night we had:-
Murray's Anniversary 1 & 2 (06-07)
Potters Hop Monster (from this time last year)
Not Micro brew but: - bottle conditioned ales
Coopers 04 & 06 Vintage
Hahn Millennium Ale (2000, well past its best but not infected)
All (except the Hahn) were wonderful beers; well crafted micro brew beers have exceptional shelf lives - not months.

Pour a beer from your tap & leave it in a bottle for a week in the heat..
Back this one.
Well isnt that the same as opening a bottle pouring some out and leaving it in a glass for a couple of days, then returning it to the bottle - naturally it would be infected.

There will always be some beer residue in the tap that is exposed to the air, this will be infected, and if transferred to a bottle will contaminate the rest of the bottle.

The argument isn't relevant to the question.

Go to a pub that doesn't regulary clean its lines/taps & you'll taste the difference
Well yes, if you treat beer/dispensing equipment poorly the beer suffers. Same applies to you, to me and to the pub down the street.
It doesn't it address the question that started the thread.

The answer was given in the first reply.

MHB

:icon_offtopic: Off topic a little, sorry. ;)
Just cleaned my beer lines and taps [I have been slack of late :( and I am anal about such things] I use "Custom" Beer line cleaner" 60ml to 5L [as per the data sheet], run half a keg through each tap and let it sit for an hour then run half a keg of water through each tap and ditch the first pot poured.
It still surprises me what come out no matter how often I clean them.
What does others use?

What does others use?

Bindi

I use two teaspoons of Napisan in boiling water. Fill the keg around half way. Push the solution through with CO2. I pour around 3-4 litres through each line then just let it sit overnight.

Next day I rinse with clean water. Then run some dilute iodophor through. Let that sit for a couple of hours and don't bother rinsing. I just dump the first half a glass of beer.

Comes up fresh as a daisy. :)

Warren -

Bindi

I use two teaspoons of Napisan in boiling water. Fill the keg around half way. Push the solution through with CO2. I pour around 3-4 litres through each line then just let it sit overnight.

Next day I rinse with clean water. Then run some dilute iodophor through. Let that sit for a couple of hours and don't bother rinsing. I just dump the first half a glass of beer.

Comes up fresh as a daisy. :)

Warren -

Ok, That's good Warren, Today I found I only needed to dump half a glass of beer, and the product is "Custom Care" Beer line Cleaner.
Why is it we can't edit our posts now :angry: only delete.

Bindi

Comes up fresh as a daisy.

Warren -

That my system too!

Back