Beer Taints Sensory Evaluation Seminar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting. Recently did a taint tasting as part of a BJCP study group but registered for this to build on that.

George is a decent presenter from my experience.

This looks good, thanks for sharing Dingo.

Plus it's on my birthday so SWMBO can't say no....HA !

Think it'll be good, Andrew ?

My ESB at Brit Ale Comp was picked up for too much Diacetyl for style (amongst other things....'sigh'), but I couldn't taste it myself. It'd be really helpful to get a handle on this sort of stuff.

Dan

Reckon this kind of thing is essential to understanding what diacetyl, etc is.

Comps can be harsh (and wrong/flawed) - some diacetyl is acceptable in many british styles but usually a small amount (according to BJCP guidelines which is only one small aspect of where beer styles are, from where they have evolved and what they should be).

You may still make a tasty beer with loeads and find it attractive - no-one else can tell you that it's wrong - it just won't win a medal in a BJCP sanctioned comp.

George is a decent presenter from my experience.
Would be nice if the website had some personal info, there are lots of testimonials and stuff, but nothing (I could find) about the person doing the presenting.

Would love to do this in Brisbane, make it happen someone!

I invited my mate/brewing assistant to this...

''$39 to drink crap beer...come on, it'll be good !'', I said.

''No'', he said.

Fin

Would love to do this in Brisbane, make it happen someone!

Agreed. I can't say I'd usually want to pay money to taste taints but if something like this was organised in Perth, I'd be interested.

Another Taints session coming - 15th Sep.

Declaring an interest - I'm running it.

Follow link under Upcoming Events on front page: www.beerspace.com.au

Also posting in the retailer section of the forum about other seminars coming up in the next few weeks.

(Take your point Wolfy re biographies - will be posting those soon - its a labour of love rather than money - we still have day jobs so will slowly make improvements to the site especially in response to feedback like yours - Cheers)

I was at the first one too and I found it definitely worth the $40 - there were even some nibbles to go round included in the price (debatable whether this is ideal when trying to pick subtle faults, but hey, I was hungry and the food went down well).

George was a good presenter and I was really surprised that some of the faults, which were doctored at 3 times common perception thresholds, were as subtle as they were.

Makes me think twice about breaking my competition cherry.

I invited my mate/brewing assistant to this...

''$39 to drink crap beer...come on, it'll be good !'', I said.

''No'', he said.

Fin

I too, told my housemate about it, and got the same response!

I attended the first one and had a good night, was well presented. Then got to enjoy some nice beers after, at the Belgian Beer Cafe with other AHBers.

George is a fantastic presenter, & a huge great contributor to the home brew scene, whether it be through running the BJCP study groups, helping with organising comps, judging etc.

Good luck George, you thoroughly deserve all of it given your passion & commitment.

How about up here at tamborine mtn, we can then go to the mountain brewery to test our new found skills :icon_chickcheers:
I'd settle for Tamborine, I can roll down the back road to Upper Coomera from there :icon_drunk:

Count me in if something is ever organised on the Gold Coast. Is there any kind of home brew club on the coast?

Back