Beer Stone Stain in SS Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbly

Reaction score
What do you do to either remove or counter beer stone staining/buildup on/in you SS fermenters

Is there a particular acid/alkaline cleaner you use and if so what do you do to rinse of any residue

Wobbly

Pink Stain remover will shift it

+1 chlorine and any metal is a recipe for pitting and eventually holes.

Here is a different way to deal with it.... just don't stress about it?

I have had my conical for 16 years and yeah sure, there are a few stain rings around where various krausen have formed over the years, but, at the end of the day, scrub it, sanitize it and move on, a stain does not affect performance of the vessel.

Supposedly beerstone can harbour bacteria/micro-organisms if not removed.

I've had it in my stainless urn.. bit of citric acid and a scrub gets rid of it pretty easily.

manticle said:
Supposedly beerstone can harbour bacteria/micro-organisms if not removed.
Yeah maybe, but it is just a stain, not a build up. Besides, fire cleanses all, I sanitize with pressurized steam........

Detal 22 from Supora will removed it. Phosphoric acid base. Beer stone can and does harbour bacteria and also will flavour taint beer. Worst in beer lines

Hi all,

Found some beerstone in my SS fermenter, in the elbow of my conicle. Is it safe to let this soak overnight, in caustic soda? I have it sitting in a plastic jug, in my sink.

Cheers

Hi all,

Found some beerstone in my SS fermenter, in the elbow of my conicle. Is it safe to let this soak overnight, in caustic soda? I have it sitting in a plastic jug, in my sink.

Cheers

All good. But the caustic will not remove beerstone, see above

Anything phosphoric / nitric acid based or as a mix

IodPhos and StarSan both contain Phosphoric acid, as well as a bunch of other Acid Sanitisers, at the normal strengths it should stop the build up if used regularly. For a stubborn deposit use some a lot stronger.
Personally for Stainless I'm a big fan of IodPhos it was developed for use in the dairy industry, about the only other game where they work to the same hygiene standards as brewers.
The Phosphoric Acid will quickly remove beer stone (Calcium Oxalate) it also passivate the surface making it tougher and more corrosion resistant. Pretty cheap and lasts nearly forever (well I've never run a bottle dry before it was either lost, stolen or lent to someone who will be bringing it back some time soon...)
Mark

Hi All ,
A acid (peracetic ), or other would help , basically an acidic solvent will shift the bugger .
Cheers
Edd

Back