Beer Selection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Inspired by a recent photo (couldn't find link) & discussions of various commercial brews, i decided to go & buy a few old favourites & educate my palette on some new ones. Would welcome anyones comments....

Beer_selection.jpg

Ross,

Had them all except for the Ruddles County.

Marston's Single Malt is very nice.

:super: :super: :super: :super:

Warren -

Warren,

Just chilling in the fridge as we speak - going to be my first bottle a new experience - i notice the beer looks cloudy like a wheat beer?

If you get a chance, buy the Ruddles - It's a heavily hopped pommie ale with most wonderful aroma (Goldings I believe) - really nice...

Hey Warren,

I thought Stockade was the only single malt beer :lol: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Ah, you've gotta have a laugh...

Shawn.

Marston's Single Malt IIRC is made from Golden Promise, shouldn't be any wheat. That said could be a chill haze.

I came across a bottle of it in Spain of all places. Was a revelation after putting up with Estrella Damm for a week. Think the Spanish may have aquired their brewing prowess from Fosters or Lion Nathan. :wacko:

Main thing is to hope the UK beers are in good nick. They'e got a bit of a habit of hitting our shores a bit past their best.

Thanks for the tip Ross, I'll keep my eyes open for the Ruddles. Always willing to try a new'un. :beerbang:

Warren -

Hey Gough how's the new addition to the tribe faring? :)

So it would probably better if Ross puts his Marston's SM up on ebay?? :lol: :lol:

Wouldn't hold a candle to the Stockade would it? :blink:

BTW Gough the APA is up and running. Brewday went off without a hitch.

Warren -

Just came home this afternoon Warren, thanks for asking. All are doing well so far, although it has been a BIG few days... She's a good sleeper to this point so I hope that continues...

Good news about the APA. Mine is still in cc. I'll be bottling when I get a spare hour or so. Should be good.

I'd reckon Ross' beer would kill it on ebay. But does it come with a glass??? :lol:

Shawn.

Gough said:
I'd reckon Ross' beer would kill it on ebay. But does it come with a glass??? :lol:

Shawn.
[post="51521"][/post]​

Hey Gough/Ross,

Would this be inappropriate? B)

Warren -

ICAM0002.JPG

For those of you who have tried the Ruddles...gotta love the bottle it comes in.
Is it just me or do you fell like you are handling a giant urine sample jar?

Cheers...

The Marstons single malt was beautiful - even my daughter who's not a beer drinker liked it.

Just tried the Badgers Golden Glory - Now there's an aroma I won't forget in a while - I thought it smelt of elder flowers, but here is Roger Protz review for anyone interested http://www.beer-pages.com/notes/brewery.php?id=badger

Andrew said:
For those of you who have tried the Ruddles...gotta love the bottle it comes in.
Is it just me or do you fell like you are handling a giant urine sample jar?

Cheers...
[post="51528"][/post]​

You're not wrong Andrew, but I reckon they'll make great yeast starter bottles - I've got 6 now for that very use... Yeast that is not urine :lol: :lol:

Recent talk of British ales, got the taste buds going - Just selected these ones I haven't tried before:

Beers.jpg

Cheers Ross :chug:

some good uns there - worthington white shield is tasty. old nick kicks arse too, really rich stuff.
what's the one second from the left? i can't read it.

looks like you get some beers up in brissy that we dont get in nsw...damn

neonmeate said:
some good uns there - worthington white shield is tasty. old nick kicks arse too, really rich stuff.

[post="79524"][/post]​

Burma Star Ale (bottle conditioned) from the Hops Back Brewery (micro) in Tongham, Surrey.

Hey Ross, where do you get your beers from? Looks like you have a shop with a good range....

White Shield IPA is a favourite. As is the Old Nick. I've tried the Witches Brew as well, don't remember it that clearly.
I'll be interested to hear your opinion on the Marstons. I don't think I've ever heard of the Double Drop. I like their Pedigree though.
Not heard of the others, but I'm sure that won't impact your enjoyment.
:chug:

sluggerdog said:
Hey Ross, where do you get your beers from? Looks like you have a shop with a good range....
[post="79528"][/post]​

The all come from Cleveland. Was called Liquorworx superstore, 22 Shore St, but has just been taken over by another family owned company - Can't remember their new name. Fabulous range of beers British, Belguim etc... Well worth a trip.

Ross said:
neonmeate said:

[post="79524"][/post]​

Burma Star Ale (bottle conditioned) from the Hops Back Brewery (micro) in Tongham, Surrey.
[post="79527"][/post]​
Hogs Back, not Hops Back.

Sneck Lifter is my favorite amongst that lot.

Back