Quantcast

Beer Recipe Database

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

dane

Reaction score
I am continuing to work on the new website tonight started on a dedicated Reciepe DB rather than having recipes belonging in the forums.

That way we have the forums for discussions and a dedicated reciepe DB where people can search for a partcular recipe, add their own and comment/vote on others.

I imagine it will be a continually developed system as it will take a little bit of work to get up and running, but hopefully it will all work out.

Just wanted people opinons on how to navigate the DB?

Onviously everything is searchable, but what would be the best method to display items?

Have a list of Beer varieties? Stout, Lager, Ale, etc...... or Alphabetically.

I guess both would be possible as well.

Any other comments on how you would want to use a DB and what features you would want it to have?

Let me know and I will look into it :D

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
I think the recipes should be categorised in accordance with a standard like the BJCP style guide. Or even base navigation on the periodic table.

It would also be good to parse the recipes. ie, there is no use in weird or exerimental brews landing in the wrong place. I mean, what's the good of a recipe for a light beer stlye that actually has the wrong colour and flavour? It might mean more work, but it'd make the db a much more valuable resource. Admins could at the very least punch the recipe into ProMash and check colour, IBU, OG, etc.

And recipes should indicate difficulty - ie kit based > extract based > partial mash > all grain.

Trev

Reaction score
I like what I've seen on an O/S site. You can search by style and/or keyword and/or Method (Kit, Extract. Partial, All Grain).

As PM says it would be really good if the recipes followed the style guidelines, which I suppose is more applicable with AG rather than Kit etc.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
This is the best layout I've seen.
I lists by the Style Categories and then by brewing method.
It is also great to have the comments part so comments can be added by those who brew them (or even the person who posts the recipe).

Beers,
Doc

Wozza

Reaction score
Good luck on the DB, Fiscus.

Would it be possible to have a star rating - something like Amazon does with books? Everyone who tries the recipe gives it a rating out of 5 and you show the average together with the total number of people who have rated it. e.g:

Wozza's Old Scrotum: 3 1/2 stars (8 respondants)

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
Great idea, Fiscus.

I agree with the above comments. A couple of extra points:

- maybe have flags for untried recipes (ie ones we've just put down and haven't drunk but are really excited about and just gotta tell everybody); and

- have award flags for recipes that have won placings at homebrew competitions (similar to the ones on wine bottles). It would be good if they identified which competiton and if the beer got a medal.

Cheers - Snow

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
how ever you do it, it sounds like a cool idea.
a top ten list would be cool.
my two very best are on the favourite recipe thread only jazman has added to that so far.

Trough Lolly

"Drink, Feck, Arse, Girls"!
Reaction score
Doc said:
This is the best layout I've seen.
I lists by the Style Categories and then by brewing method.
It is also great to have the comments part so comments can be added by those who brew them (or even the person who posts the recipe).

Beers,
Doc
I agree heartily with Doc regarding layout, but obviously they can't be in Promash format only...Not everyone has or uses Promash and besides, how do you get first timers into this caper if you tell them that they have to get a computer program before they can do their first brew!! :blink:

How about displaying the recipe and having a conversion facility whereby the recipe can be adjusted to suit a particular volume of wort? I've seen that elsewhere and it's handy in case you want to have a go at a more ambitious brew but don't want to make 23L of swamp water!!

I agree that it does make life a lot easier for recipe hunters if you can indicate which recipes are kit/extract/partial or full grain ones...

My $0.05c worth!

Cheers,

TL

Linz

Reaction score
TL,
I agree, that if the recipie is shown as it is on ratchat.If it is listed as Doc normally posts them here, they show exact amounts of all ingredients. This would make it really easy for first timers. IIRC it shows EBC and IBU approximations also which would help get a feeling for hop values and colours from differing grains.

Please correct me if I've got it all wrong

Linz

Trough Lolly

"Drink, Feck, Arse, Girls"!
Reaction score
Spot on Linz...

Docs recipes are a real work of art!! Keep 'em coming Doc! ;)

Cheers,

TL