Beer Recipe Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg

Reaction score
Just wondering whether any of you people out there in the ether have used any beer reference books.

I have recently bought another copy of Dave Line's "Brewing Beers like those you buy" having lent mine to someone for the last 6 or 7 years. :angry:

Anyway I seem to remeber this book as being my holy grail at the time, only now that I've got another copy I suddenly realise that its more like the Gideon Bible. I'm not knocking it but I'm struggling to get the IBU's right as there's no reference anywhere in the recipes to them.

Does anyone know of a book that I should be looking to get, I'm particularly interested in the English real ales.

Thanks

Greg

I have been recommended Beer Captured.

My copy should be ariving from US mon.

Also, Home brewed beer and stouts.

I have also purchased the brewers bibble.

Hope this helps.

Best books:

1. Homebrewing, Vol 1 - Al Korvonas - the BEST beginners book
2. Designing Great Beers - Ray Daniels - BEST practical use book

These are the 2 books every brewer should have in their library. Clone brews and Beer Captured are very good but are only recipe books. These 2 books explain alot of technique along with recipes and hints. Not to mention they are both really good guys and make great beer.

Also for an excellent book you cant go past
HOME BREWING the CAMRA GUIDE.
by Graham Wheeler

This book has recipees from Kits to A.G

Rook

Thanks for the hints, I'm off to investigate.

Greg

With a birthday coming up I have asked for a beer book (as this way save them the trouble of thinking of some crummy present and i get a usfull addition to my brewing)

I want to cover grains, there effect, mash steep etc and general brewing

(this might save some of my silly questions about steeping V mash V this V that)

I found Homebrewing Camra Guide - Graham wheeler $24.15 (grain & grape)
also Designing great beers - ray Daniels $49.95

With out seeing them can any one tell me what book will best suit me (just starting out with grain/mash and liquid yeast etc)

or another book i can buy in Australia

thanks

can you get that ray daniels book in oz
that will give you everything you need to know about everything that is brewing guys with years of brewing under their belt and own micro breweries etc still use this book as a reference.it gives you everything you need to know about styles as what goes into them so you can formulate your own recipes.

designing great beers - ray daniels

$50 at beer shop.

Online the best I found was $48 + $7 post.

Others range to $60 + $20 post

($18.90 from Amazon for one book - freight) about $46 from Amazon (without duties or tax and you have to wait for delivery)

looks like i'll have to get to the brew shop... pitty they dont have Homebrewing Volume 1, it sounds like a good book also :blink:

As I said I have the CAMRA guide and it is an excellent book for a beginner, from what i have heard Daniels may be a bit heavy for a relative new comer.

Rook

Did anyone get the Brew Real Ale at home book?
If so is there a recipe in it for Kilkenny ?

If so can someone please post me the recipe ?

TIA,
Doc

The "Homebrewing-the CAMRA Guide" will get you started mashing

the Ray Daniel book is for when you understand mashing and would like to formulate your own recipes

Doc, I have all 3 books by Wheeler &/or Protz but they are at the shop
The Kilkenny is a sound but boring beer in my experience, will try to remember tomorrow, but AHB is my third-priority beer list

JM

I have just recieved some books from Amazon:

Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide

The Homebrewers Garden, and

Brew Classic European Beers at Home

I ordered 5 in total with a mate who also ordered 5 books and they cost me about AUD$20 ea including postage.

One other possibility guys is to check your local libraries. I've been going through the local state library and digging up some good stuff, sure some are very old and dated but I have also found a number of the books mentioned above (plus some pretty heavy info on the full brewing science in the reference section). Might be worth a look though and it's free, then you can make your own decisions.

JD

Hi all,

Problem is with most books these days is the limited amount of information in regards to ingredients etc because usually by the time you buy the book the amount of ingredients grains, hops, yeasts etc has grown past the book.

I've found that most books brewing wise that I've purchased (and that's as few). Fall in two categories. ie,

Too much information on the technical side. (Geared for professional brewers)

or;

Too little information or the igredients are all US dependent (although Australia is catching up).

My opinion is that all the information you need these days is on the web or in forums like this.

Used to like buying the classic styles books. But they're a little hit and miss as well.

I've heard that Ray Daniels "Designing Great Beers" covers a lot of everything pretty well.

Warren

For recipes, the Vicbrew booklets from Grain and Grape are good.

They are award winning recipes from the Victorian state championships and also include useful brewing information.

The 2001 edition also includes the nationals winning recipes. 63 recipes plus 40 pages of extra info. $8.95 a4 pages folded in half and stapled.

Ben said:
designing great beers - ray daniels

$50 at beer shop.

Online the best I found was $48 + $7 post.

Others range to $60 + $20 post

($18.90 from Amazon for one book - freight) about $46 from Amazon (without duties or tax and you have to wait for delivery)

looks like i'll have to get to the brew shop... pitty they dont have Homebrewing Volume 1, it sounds like a good book also :blink:
I just ordered my copy of Designing Great Beers from Amazon. With our strong dollar, it came to $41, incl delivery. I was really pleased until they sent me my confirmation e-mail and said I can expect it to arrive....end of August!! :(

Not...happy...JAN!! :angry:

Snow said:
I just ordered my copy of Designing Great Beers from Amazon. With our strong dollar, it came to $41, incl delivery. I was really pleased until they sent me my confirmation e-mail and said I can expect it to arrive....end of August!! :(

Not...happy...JAN!! :angry:
It might not take that long.

Mrs PoMo once ordered stuff from Amazon US and gotten the mail saying 6-8 weeks and then we've had a German postal sack arrive at the door 2 days later loaded with the books.

We were mightily impressed!

Back