Quantcast

Beer Ratings/Tastings section

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
One of my favourite sites is Rate Beer .
However it is US based and there is a lot of info on beers that aren't avaialble to us down here.
It is also an effort to sift through to find reviews on local beers.

So how about a section where we can review and rate beers available to us down this part of the world ?

Cheers,
Doc

kook

Reaction score
A suprising amount of the beers from ratebeer are available in australia if you search hard enough. I've only just started rating beers recently, though i'm finding it very handy.
As for reviews on local beers, you can search on ratebeer for top beers via locality, you can search via brewery, you can search via beer style and of course name.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Top10.asp

Out of that page I know the following are available in WA:
Rochefort Trappistes 10
Chimay Bleu
Fullers Vintage ale (though not the 1999 batch)
James Squire Original Pilsener
Fullers ESB
Fullers London Porter
Schneider Aventinus
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

I know that might not seem many out of that many beers, but considering the geographical location of Perth I think its acceptable. Surely you guys over east must have more than this of the top beers available?

I'd have no problem with a beer rating section here, I just dont see how it could be any better than ratebeer.

dane

Reaction score
Sounds like a good suggestions guys!!

I am currently working on the Live Chat section as well as a forum software upgrade - hopefully things will be up and running by the weekend.

If I was to add a Rate Beer section - how would you want it to work? Similar to the Rate Beer site?

Any changes? I'm sure I can find and modify a script that could easily do this.

Let me know if there are any features that would would love to see and I will look into it :)

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
The ability to also share and rate each other brews.
This would be the big difference from Rate Beer.

Doc

dane

Reaction score
Ok so we want a system where we can add beers where we can comment / rate / evaluate / list properties / etc.

If there is a section where we can add our own brews we can comment / rate these as well as the normal commercial beer.

Is this along the line that you were thinking?

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Sounds like the go, and also in the same space a trade beers component where we can send each other our own beers for each other to taste.
eg. I'll send you my pils and you send me your pils etc.
Then we can rate them back here.

Doc

dane

Reaction score
Doc said:
Sounds like the go, and also in the same space a trade beers component where we can send each other our own beers for each other to taste.
eg. I'll send you my pils and you send me your pils etc.
Then we can rate them back here.

Doc
Hahahha that would be great. A Beer Trading Module where we can swap our brews throughout the country!

With the chat section going (hopefully) live this week I can start looking into the the ratings section.

If anyone knows some PHP guru's or know of readily avaliable script that we can use as a base and customise let me know. It will make the job a little easier :D

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
Just bumping this thread, not to hurry you up or anything, but to suggest a simpler solution.

Why not add another category of forum? As per The Kitchen, The Brew House, The Fermenter, etc, add "The Brew-Off" and have forums such as "Commercial Tastings", "AHB Contributer Tastings" (to arrange brew trades and to rate the traded beers), "Microbreweries/Restaurants" etc? Less work for you and a new home for posts reviewing beers and breweries? In the Commercial Tastings forum, one thread per beer, each user posting their tasting notes in the thread. Does this forum have a facility like vBulletin's "Rate this thread"? That way, anyone who's tasted a beer can score it from 1-5....

Just an idea. I think a full-on module would be too much work to maintain and enhance...

Latest posts