Beer on tap when camping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reckless said:
Huh yea right! of course i will.

This is after one of our better days, the beer tasted good that day.
I wondered: what the hell is that - some kind of root? - and do you add it to the boil or fermenter? And is that 1.149kg? What the hell us going on here?

Penny has finally dropped... Good find! :)

My primary camping setup, the table top mini pub

post-13909-0-55774600-1422513897.jpg
post-13909-0-11909400-1421834994.jpg

uses a 7 circuit cold plate. Pours beautifully, and will run on a 10Kg block of ice for 3 days. Can be topped up with bought ice. We also top it up with ice blocks made in 1L containers in the gas freezer. (21 days on a bottle)

Just used it to dispense 120L over Easter.

The trick would be to use the same cold plate in the gas freezer ;)

Stux what did you make the plate from?

Sorry just saw the link on the bottom, cheers

It's a Cornelius style cold plate from a soda machine. Each beer line is double looped through two circuits. The circuits are stainless coils encased in about 16kg of aluminum.

I bought it from chi company on a businness trip to the US and smuggled it home in my luggage. Shipping would've been astronomical otherwise

reckless said:
We would usually take 3 kegs sometimes 4, a tiny engel with the frozen meat in it and the 35l waeco with the repurposed automatic transmission cooler and the veg. Transferring the meat over to the waeco as we were going.

As for the beer it was cold :beerbang: it was a bit hard to get it to pour right with those silly little co2 cartridges but we managed.
Did you think about putting the plate chiller in the freezer rather than the fridge? Just thinking out aloud here but:
1. Beer has a lower freezing point than water, especially if high grav. So hopefully it wouldn't freeze in your lines
2. If it was colder this might eliminate your pint-pint delay
3. Maybe even fix the foaming issue?

I'm interested if anyone has experimented with this because I need to decide what kind of system to build for my bucks weekend.

My group of mates have now done many boys trips with kegs. We've been through a few different systems., finally settling on 3 jockey boxes. 2 doubles and a single giving 5 taps pouring.

We are usually within an hour's drive of ice so a trip into civilisation every 3 days is easy.

Freezing your own ice bricks in the weeks prior really helps. If you've got a few engels/ waecos etc in the group you can dedicate one to freezer to keep the ice bricks frozen.

There are some awesome ideas in here...atm I just use a modified tap king head dispenser but would love to do something better

crowmanz said:
you're not wrong, just searched your plate on their site - new $165 USD plus $192 USD shipping.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3237
Yep, that's the one. Basically had my eye on it for 18 months before I managed to line up a trip with enough notice to get it shipped to my hotel.

(you can ask a hotel that you've booked in for to tell you how to ship an item for you before you get there... "Hold For Guest: XXX XXX")

siege said:
Did you think about putting the plate chiller in the freezer rather than the fridge? Just thinking out aloud here but:
1. Beer has a lower freezing point than water, especially if high grav. So hopefully it wouldn't freeze in your lines
2. If it was colder this might eliminate your pint-pint delay
3. Maybe even fix the foaming issue?

I'm interested if anyone has experimented with this because I need to decide what kind of system to build for my bucks weekend.
Nar the beer will still freeze and cause dramas, we messed around and managed to freeze the beer lines. (Could burst the exchanger)

Bigger volume in the exchanger is the the solution. If its a stag party and only one day/night I would go with something like Buckerooni posted.

The only reason we had the exchanger was because we were out bush for over two weeks.

Stux that's awesome.

Is there anybody in OZ that sells cold plates?

Andale does. They're super exxy and only go up to two circuits.

Yeah, I just found andale's site after posting that.

Just shy of $400 for a two circuit one :(

certainly makes the one Stux got look like top value even with the postage

I made this single tap dispenser. Works good. Ice will last for 3 or 4 days. Only one keg at a time tho. Not bad when you are camping. Other camping rigs posted in this thread to.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/82751-camping/?p=1223557

I like the idea of converting an engel into temp rite/jockey box. A 12 or 18 litre freezer would be a good engine for this me thinks.

Cheers,

G.

brewologist said:
I made this single tap dispenser. Works good. Ice will last for 3 or 4 days. Only one keg at a time tho. Not bad when you are camping. Other camping rigs posted in this thread to.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/82751-camping/?p=1223557

I like the idea of converting an engel into temp rite/jockey box. A 12 or 18 litre freezer would be a good engine for this me thinks.

Cheers,

G.
Mate you've cracked it!!! thats exactly the way to make a temp right. fill it with glycol, recirc pump for the flooded font and stainless coils for the beer!!!

Latest posts

Back