Beer Of The Week 26/7/10- Biere De Garde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
From BJCP-

16D. Bire de Garde

Aroma: Prominent malty sweetness, often with a complex, light to moderate toasty character. Some caramelization is acceptable. Low to moderate esters. Little to no hop aroma (may be a bit spicy or herbal). Commercial versions will often have a musty, woodsy, cellar-like character that is difficult to achieve in homebrew. Paler versions will still be malty but will lack richer, deeper aromatics and may have a bit more hops. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Three main variations exist (blond, amber and brown), so color can range from golden blonde to reddish-bronze to chestnut brown. Clarity is good to poor, although haze is not unexpected in this type of often unfiltered beer. Well-formed head, generally white to off-white (varies by beer color), supported by high carbonation.

Flavor: Medium to high malt flavor often with a toasty, toffee-like or caramel sweetness. Malt flavors and complexity tend to increase as beer color darkens. Low to moderate esters and alcohol flavors. Medium-low hop bitterness provides some support, but the balance is always tilted toward the malt. The malt flavor lasts into the finish but the finish is medium-dry to dry, never cloying. Alcohol can provide some additional dryness in the slightly higher levels of herbal or spicy hop flavor (which can also come from the yeast). Smooth, well-lagered character. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-light (lean) body, often with a smooth, silky character. Moderate to high carbonation. Moderate alcohol, but should be very smooth and never hot.

Overall Impression: A fairly strong, malt-accentuated, lagered artisanal farmhouse beer.

History: Name literally means “beer which has been kept or lagered.” A traditional artisanal farmhouse ale from Northern France brewed in early spring and kept in cold cellars for consumption in warmer weather. It is now brewed year-round. Related to the Belgian Saison style, the main difference is that the Bire de Garde is rounder, richer, sweeter, malt-focused, often has a “cellar” character, and lacks the spicing and tartness of a Saison.

Comments: Three main variations are included in the style: the brown (brune), the blond (blonde), and the amber (ambre). The darker versions will have more malt character, while the paler versions can have more hops (but still are malt-focused beers). A related style is Bire de Mars, which is brewed in March (Mars) for present use and will not age as well. Attenuation rates are in the 80-85% range. Some fuller-bodied examples exist, but these are somewhat rare.

Ingredients: The “cellar” character in commercial examples is unlikely to be duplicated in homebrews as it comes from indigenous yeasts and molds. Commercial versions often have a “corked”, dry, astringent character that is often incorrectly identified as “cellar-like.” Homebrews therefore are usually cleaner. Base malts vary by beer color, but usually include pale, Vienna and Munich types. Kettle caramelization tends to be used more than crystal malts, when present. Darker versions will have richer malt complexity and sweetness from crystal-type malts. Sugar may be used to add flavor and aid in the dry finish. Lager or ale yeast fermented at cool ale temperatures, followed by long cold conditioning (4-6 weeks for commercial operations). Soft water. Floral, herbal or spicy continental hops.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.060 – 1.080
IBUs: 18 – 28 FG: 1.008 – 1.016
SRM: 6 – 19 ABV: 6 – 8.5%

Commercial Examples: Jenlain (amber), Jenlain Bire de Printemps (blond), St. Amand (brown), Ch’Ti Brun (brown), Ch’Ti Blond (blond), La Choulette (all 3 versions), La Choulette Bire des Sans Culottes (blond), Saint Sylvestre 3 Monts (blond), Biere Nouvelle (brown), Castelain (blond), Jade (amber), Brasseurs Bire de Garde (amber), Southampton Bire de Garde (amber), Lost Abbey Avante Garde (blond)

Discuss!

I went along to the Bridge Rd Brewers beer dinner in Melbourne a couple of weekends ago. They served their Chevalier Biere De Garde with dessert - a really rich caramel tart.

It was a brownish bronze colour and had complex spiced notes (cinnamon? ginger?). It was delicious but perhaps the dessert was a touch too sweet for the beer.

I really enjoy this style, malty and delicious and have enjoyed some positive results brewing it.

I use the Wyeast Euro Ale yeast (1338) and recommend patience and strict temperature control during fermentation. I find primary fermentation takes about 3 weeks with this yeast, however the flavour profile is well worth it.

As the name says, put it away (garde) for 3 months minimum and then enjoy the fruits of your patience and foresight over the next year. BTW this is one for the bottle.

cheers

grant

Any recipes GrantW or others?

Never even come across this beer as yet... must have been my 'sheltered childhood' :p

Keen to do this winkle had a good one. Thought recipe
Sav

My first attempt tomorrow, after absolutely loving trois monts.

77.4% best pilz
8.1% best Munich
6.5% wheat
8.1% sugaz

Hallertau 60 mins

62-45, 72-15

20 IBU
Wyeast 3725 beire de garde.

Any ideas on ferment temp? I've got a starter going, and I plan on brewing a mild with it first, to build up the yeast cake ( and to keep some for future use ), and then dumping it on half the slurry. Plan roughly is 20c for the first 24-48 hours then ramp up with my heat belt to high 20's.

Sounds about right. From memory I did similar with mine. Recipe somewhere in the db. Should do another this spring/ summer.

Thanks mate. That trois monts is absolutely sensational IMHO. Loved the subtle flavours. And while there are lots of super smooth big beers out there, I could not believe it was 8.5%, it drank like 5%. Went back to the first choice I got it from, but there was only one left. Fingers toes legs and balls crossed they get more!!

Down to 1.004 in 4 days, Jesus!. Kept it mid 20's then cranked it up to 28 the last day. The mild turned out to be a pale mild that I intended to ferment with Belgian abbey 2, so it should be a nice beer. The beire de garde above will be pitched in about 10 minutes haha.

I'm planning a brune version next. I'll do a pale mild again to warm up the yeast, then dump the bigger brune on top.

Using a brew belt for the first time in years. Feels weird to trying to keep the temp up, not down hah

Well, the mild is kegged and I'm sipping it now. Very dry, and very nice. When cold from the fridge it's quite plain, and non descript. Once warm, there are those very slight belgian flavours coming through. It's quite cloudy, though its a few days in the keg haha. The beire de garde has been fermenting for 4 days, and is going so well, I added sugar dissolved in boiled water, bringing it up to a theoretical SG of 1.073. It's sitting at 1.007 at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if it got lower. Both beers were kept mid 20's, and I ramped up to 28-30 the last 24 hours. The beire de garde will go close to 9%, so will get a few months ageing. Maybe I'll crack one on my birthday in march haha. I like this yeast!.

I tried one if my beire de gardes tonight, even though its just carbonated. This is something else. Very very malty sweet aroma, with some light ethanol. Couldn't stop smelling it. The flavour was seriously smooth and felt like it had more body than a beer that went from 1.073 to 1.005 ( 93% attenuation! ). It's got some beautiful earthy character and nice sweet malt flavours without being cloying in any way. I'm absolutely going to brew something similar again. Probably sooner rather than later haha. I'm going to leave it now and try it again in a few months.

My bier de garde is slowing after 2 weeks from 1065 now 1018 should I let it run for a while it's at 28 deg seems to be still co2 in hydro is this yeast a slow chewer.
Sav

Which yeast??. I find the 3725 a friggin beast, usually done in 4-5 days regardless of gravity. I run it hot though, pitch around 20-22, let it get to mid 20's, then if need be creep up to 30, though as I've said, the beers I've done with it ( a couple now ) have finished very quickly. I have a beire de garde brune on the yeast now just waiting to get split. I'm going to bottle some, and out 10 litres into a 10litre cube with the dregs of a few Orval's for a month or so,then put into champagne bottles.

Checked it again it's was 1.012 at 28deg so that means at 20 it's 1.014 and the hydro sample was dead as a nit so I crashed it last night see how it goes. What's it drop out like, should I keg and leave it condition or filter and get into it.
Has your beer got better with time.
Sav

Filter for sure if you have it. Bigger one will improve with age definitely mate.

Kegged my bier de garde yesterday filtered one keg and going to let the other one settle out on its own. Tastes fantastic slight phenolics on nose not bitter well balanced with a slight warm ness as it goes down love this beer.
Sav

Nice stuff sav. I'm trying to let them age but keep trying them haha. I checked my beire de garde brune today, it's sitting at 1.000. I had to check it 3 times, can't believe this yeast, total beast. Flavour from the sample is a little hot, but otherwise I think it'll be quite nice in 6 months or so. I filled a 10litre cube and added 2 x orval bottles, and will bottle the rest into some champagne bottles this arvo, whilst sampling a few fine English ales haha.

Oh hey, try a saison with it, very very nice beer IMHO

Back