Beer Masons

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdack

Reaction score
SWMBO was flipping through her cooking magazine and came across this Beer Masons.

Whilst I don't think I'll join for the regular beer deliveries I did find their Brewing Process a pretty good read.

No affiliation etc...

I'm a member, they seem to be pretty good. I signed up for it at the Bitter and Twisted Beer festival (after a few tastings) and forgot all about it until it showed up on my doorstep! :D

They're pretty dear, but I reckon it's worth it. You get a selection of new beers every few months like a wine club but for beer. :chug: My only gripe was that they included 3 Red Angus's in the beer pack which you can get any where these days. I gave them a bit of constructive criticism on that and they seemed interested in what I had to say. The rest of the beers in the pack were from overseas or hard to find, so was chuffed all up.

No affiliation, just info.

Cheers,

Rob

I must say I like this bit:

The Golden Rules

As a BeerMason thou shalt:

Appreciate different styles, flavours, colours and textures and share your experience and knowledge with those around you.

Remember, someone, somewhere put their heart and soul into creating your beer and deserves your open minded consideration when you judge and enjoy it.

Take umbrage against the mindless consumption of uninteresting beer and reject imagery that demonises beer drinking as a lowly pursuit.

Refute that beer is the new wine or its poor relation. They are completely different, with their own extraordinary and historic meaning to mankind.

Just joined today. Anyone else signed up recently?

I'm a member, they seem to be pretty good. I signed up for it at the Bitter and Twisted Beer festival (after a few tastings) and forgot all about it until it showed up on my doorstep! :D

They're pretty dear, but I reckon it's worth it. You get a selection of new beers every few months like a wine club but for beer. :chug: My only gripe was that they included 3 Red Angus's in the beer pack which you can get any where these days. I gave them a bit of constructive criticism on that and they seemed interested in what I had to say. The rest of the beers in the pack were from overseas or hard to find, so was chuffed all up.

No affiliation, just info.

Cheers,

Rob

Other than the Red Angus (I don't mind their pils, but I digress), what other beers did you get? Would love to join but can't justify it sadly :(

Other than the Red Angus (I don't mind their pils, but I digress), what other beers did you get? Would love to join but can't justify it sadly :(

Hi Kai,

Hard to remember now, it's all gone... :( There was Tres Pistoles (magnificent beer) a couple Franziskaners, Belgian Pils, and a few others that i've never heard of. Wish I could help you more.

Just got a new delivery this week. Has Green Goblin Cider, Duvel, Aventenis, Chambly, Beast IPA to name a few.

Cheers :icon_cheers: ,

Rob

Edit: PS thanks for your Saison Recipe, it's REALLY good.

had a look and at 120 for that list of the first 17 beers does not look like any saving from buying them locally, certainlly does not look like a value for money thing at all, actually quite opposite.

SWMBO was flipping through her cooking magazine and came across this Beer Masons.

Whilst I don't think I'll join for the regular beer deliveries I did find their Brewing Process a pretty good read.

No affiliation etc...

Yep, a very succinct version of the process. I like it...

The SHORT answer is:
1. The farmer harvests the grains and hands them over to a Maltser.
2. The Maltser germinates, dries and/or roasts them and sends them to the brewer.
3. They are ground to form a grist and added to a mash tun with hot water. This is called mashing and
creates the wort (pronounced wert) or sugary brewing liquid.
4. It's then put into a kettle, hops and other ingredients are added. It boils away until the brewer is
satisfied.
5. It's drained, strained and cooled.
6. Yeast is added. It ferments.
7. The yeast is removed or filtered.
8. It's then aged and conditioned, sometimes filtered again and then bottled or put into casks or kegs.
9. Sometimes it is pasteurised, sometimes it isn't.
10. It then arrives in your glass, destined for your belly.

had a look and at 120 for that list of the first 17 beers does not look like any saving from buying them locally, certainlly does not look like a value for money thing at all, actually quite opposite.

Exactly what I thought.

Absolutely, it is a bit dear. You do get things that you can't get in Australia, which I appreciate. And there's also the whole trying beers that are available in Oz but didn't know existed too.

I'll probably go one or two more deliveries and call it quits. It's approching 10 bucks a beer, which is fine for oversea's beers, but not for Red Angus, especially when there's three of 'em. Still peeved.

Rob

There was Tres Pistoles (magnificent beer) a couple Franziskaners, Belgian Pils, and a few others that i've never heard of.

Just got a new delivery this week. Has Green Goblin Cider, Duvel, Aventenis, Chambly, Beast IPA to name a few.

Everything but the Green Goblin Cider I can get in one of three bottle shops in the Illawarra. Nice list, but not worth $10 a stubby to me.

Everything but the Green Goblin Cider I can get in one of three bottle shops in the Illawarra. Nice list, but not worth $10 a stubby to me.

Can you get tres pistoles there? If so, I didn't realise you could get it in Oz. I need to find a local distributor in Sudney...

Beers :icon_cheers: ,
Rob

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue brewery is available at a few places now.
Not from Sydney though.
They are imported by Palais Importers (google it) and the guys there will put you in touch with bottlos in your area who sell it.

No affiliation

Edit: "I" am not from Sydney.

try first choice mate in concord.

Can you get tres pistoles there? If so, I didn't realise you could get it in Oz. I need to find a local distributor in Sudney...

Beers :icon_cheers: ,
Rob

Camperdown Cellars (Parra Rd store) have stocked it in the past, along with most of the Unibroe range.

Camperdown Cellars (Parra Rd store) have stocked it in the past, along with most of the Unibroe range.

Exxxxxcellent....
MrBurns.gif

Just following up... on my own post.

Out of the new pack, 2 beers shine above the rest, the Aventinus and Jamieson's Beast IPA. Both beers are absolutely fantastic, and now I am frantically searching around Sydney for more!

Liking the beer masons, but they haven't taught me the secret handshake yet!

BB

Try Platinum Cellars at Bellevue Hill. They were getting beast a while back and should have Aventinus.

Back