Beer Made From Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I probably missed this.......did it ferment at all?

From memory it started at 1.080 & last time I checked it was at 1.045 so it did convert in the mash & ferment. I was expecting it to go lower than 1.045 though.

From memory it started at 1.080 & last time I checked it was at 1.045 so it did convert in the mash & ferment. I was expecting it to go lower than 1.045 though.

You said the hydro samples weren't promising??

Is that, it hasn't gone lower than 1.045 and tastes too sweet or it's really does taste like shit...?

Like Smurto said, bring a couple of bottles to the BJCP meeting this Thursday. Carbed or uncarbed

That is an interesting observation and thank you to anyone who took part in the experiment.

Is it possible that the mash temps and the boil failed to remove higher alcohols that inhibited yeast growth?

Is it that the "base-line" reading represents ~0.01 gravity and that the resultant beer fully fermented?

More non-fermentables?

cheers
the_new_darren

Edit; What was the fermentation potential (ie expected OG-FG) given the grain bill

You said the hydro samples weren't promising??

Is that, it hasn't gone lower than 1.045 and tastes too sweet or it's really does taste like shit...?

Like Smurto said, bring a couple of bottles to the BJCP meeting this Thursday. Carbed or uncarbed

I'll fill a couple of stubbies & bring them along, they won't be carbed but I'm not sure it'll make much of a difference.

That is an interesting observation and thank you to anyone who took part in the experiment.

Is it possible that the mash temps and the boil failed to remove higher alcohols that inhibited yeast growth?

Is it that the "base-line" reading represents ~0.01 gravity and that the resultant beer fully fermented?

More non-fermentables?

cheers
the_new_darren

Edit; What was the fermentation potential (ie expected OG-FG) given the grain bill

It's quite possible that there was alcohol left over from the previous batch. I would've thought it would boil off but Smurto seems to think it may not. He knows more about science than I ever will so I'm willing to believe him.

The grain bill was 10kg wey pils mashed with 35L of beer, I didn't sparge because I didn't have any beer left to use as sparge beer.

If at some point I end up with too much beer to drink but feel the need to brew I reckon we could give this another shot but maybe make the original batch a better beer to see if the beer made from that beer turns out better. As it stands at the moment I'm closer to buying a slab of coopers than I am to trying this again due to a couple of failed batches.

You could use this beer again to make beer from beer from beer :unsure:

if there is any left and you have a empty keg laying around i would love to see it show up at the swap! :)

As long as its not undrinkable!?

Bear_BeerFromBeer.JPG

can we call it footscray Draught?

I think we need to do Slow Motion Video for a swap Ad. :lol:

Hatchy, can your next experiment be whether VB is beer made from piss please?

Latest posts

Back