Beer Line Size (7mlong)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
What size beer line (4mm ID, or 6mm ID) should i use over a 7m of length

about 1m will be in the fridge, the rest running to my bar. At the taps i will reduce to 4mm line as this is what the taps use, and at some point be it under the bar, or at the kegs i will use the beer line flow restrictors.

I tend to think the 6mm line all the way to just before the taps is the best bet???

Ben

i would use 4mm....

Hope this helps....

just up the gas presure until the pour rate is good....

Ken....

thats my point, overgasing the beer for say english ales?

I have a dual pressure in my fridge so some can be say pils or wheat, and one a low carb ale... but if i need to up the pressure so much it might upset this, esp for the ale...

however maybe 7m is not that long.... i just dont know and dont want to spend $60 on beer line to find out (35m 6mm)

ok so the first link i think (after conversion) is saying this:
6.35mm line = 1psi/foot = 3.3psi/meter

then they use 12psi to gas beer, therefore 3.6m of line is about right
I am in need of 7m hence a gas pressure of (7x3.3psi) 23psi

hmmm not looking good even with 6mm beer line

But won't the beer in the line get hot ????

It is running in a tube of chilled water from the freezer, which will also chill the taps (a pump will pump it along and back to the freezer)

(and without this yes it would)

Sound's like some set up.
Hope it work well

Andrew thanks for the site it is great! hurting my brain thinking so much after a day at work and now my 3rd pot but hey i gotta nutt this out!

Ok looks like your "Equilibrium Pressure" gives you your volumes of carbonation, lets say you want 2.5.

now temp dependent we assume that 14psi gives you 2.5 volumes. however this you need to add pressure to overcome the line resistance etc so you may up the pressure to 16psi.

This is fine while you are serving (2lbs over the vertical rise and keg resistance) but when you stop pouring the beer sits at 16 psi, so the volumes of carbonation grow over night to the "new" value....

This i gather is when the next time you pour, the beer (at the exit of the tap) is lower than the volumes of carbonation so in order to overcome the "loss" it has a negative pressure and hence the foaming as CO2 comes out of solution... a increase in tap temp will dramaticly increase this.

How can this be overcome? well in my mind it looks like you want the beer to sit at 14psi, then when you are about to pour it jumps to 16psi, when you finish the pour back to 14.

Now with such a small difference in pressure the beer will take a long time to "take in" the extra carbonation so you could have it at 14 over night and up to 16 when your drinking and turn it back down when you are finished...

All the above then (say 14psi) needs to be tuned to the line size and length

hence why i normally get froth the first time i pull the tap, be it cold or otherwise

Back