Beer Line Id

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Something I've been thinking about this morning.

We all know that you can use smaller ID line to reduce flow and 'balance' a draught system. The longer the line, the more the flow is reduced.

We also know that with flow control taps you can use shorter lines but have the taps reduce the flow.

Another thing is that if your lines are too long, the co2 will come out of solution in the lines over time, creating bubbles of co2 that make the taps fart when you pour a beer.

So the question is, if you're using flow control taps and because of this your lines are say 0.5 to 1 metre, and you deliberately use ID line of say 6mm or even above, does it eradicate the chance of ever having line farts?

I know temperature plays a part too, for example the beer in the actual tap will probably always have beer come out of solution no matter what you do.

The other thing to think about is with a higher diameter line you will have more beer sitting in the line. I use 4mm ID and relatively short lines so there's really not that much beer in the line, which is great for when you 'burn' your first pour of the day.

Latest posts

Back