Beer Line Disconnect- Can I Leave It On?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkirky

Reaction score
Gday again- sorry for another newby post...

Im new to kegging... Can I leave the beer line connected to the keg overnight? I use the keg daily in the afternoon, but it gets annoying connecting and disconnecting both the gas and the beer line- I don't mind doing it if I must, but if I can avoid it it can save me some fiddling about.

Hence, I am interested to know if its ok to leave the beer line connected?

I leave my beer & gas lines connected to all 4 kegs... for months, until they are empty. Not sure why you'd bother removing them?

I leave my beer & gas lines connected to all 4 kegs... for months, until they are empty. Not sure why you'd bother removing them?

+1, if they are sealed properly there should be no problem.

it's fine, some people turn the gas off, I don't I have found out the hard way twice of leaks :) but hey I'm lazy and leaning over to turn gas on and off would annoy me too much :)

welcome to kegging, i'm fairly new myself. like others have said, just leave them connected. most likely your system is sealed and you will not loose any gas. if you do find your tank runs out quicker than it should there are many articles on finding out where your leak is coming from, soapy water in a spray bottle worked for me.

saves getting beer all over your hand when you disconnect every night as well

Get yourself some keg lube (I use KY jelly on the keg) and apply it to the posts and the lid seal. Then leave it all connected up and turned on.

QldKev

A good reason to leave it OFF is it safegaurds you against unwanted guests[kids-cats-birds-pissed mates]accidently knocking a tap on when your not there and loosing all your beer and gas.Had a cat get into my beer shed and decide to use tap handle as a toy,knocked it on just enough to start a pour,luckily I was close and heard it & pissed the cat off,bugger could have stayed there for hours playing with it,so now I leave my dicos off when not drinking

I usually try not to drink midweek, and now disconnect the disconnects... unfortunately my Keg King Kegerator was supplied with SHITHOUSE lines that split 3 times.... resulting in quite a mess... lesson learnt.

I have since bought some really nice line from Craftbrewer, just need to find the day where I have the patience to get into the font and reattach everything.

Get yourself some keg lube (I use KY jelly on the keg) and apply it to the posts and the lid seal. Then leave it all connected up and turned on.

QldKev

Hey Kev, whats the benifits of using lube on your kegs?

Hey Kev, whats the benifits of using lube on your kegs?

It helps create a better seal. I use a tiny amount but it helps the lid of the keg and the seal between the disconnects and the posts work better. It also takes care of your o-rings (well the stuff I have is supposed to anyway)

Even with the gas off, the internal pressure would be enough to lose a lot of beer should a tap be left in the on position. You're better off putting valves on your lines if you're that concerned.

Back