Beer In Icecream

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonmeate

hello
Reaction score
just went up to our favourite gelato joint after pizza in Norton st last night - De Luca Cremeria - and i was excited to see a new flavour "BEER" with a little creatures cap sitting decoratively on the front.
it was delicious. i think it was a milk based one but not too creamy, with the lychee/rosewater cascade hops flavour all through it. not much malt seemed to carry through in the flavour.

so ive been inspired to do some strange things with my icecream machine i got for christmas.... imperial stout chocolate icecream... cantillon kriek sorbet.... i also had the idea to use some of the first runnings from a mash for malt icecream... what else should i make?

Yesterday... I was just thinking..... why don't I make a stout ice cream. I wonder does anyone have any good recipes? I know there are a few on google, but I thought it would be better if someone on here had made one or tried one and knows the recipe.

Sounds like a great idea... let us know how it goes!!!

jeez i had no idea anybody had ever made stout icecream but then i never thought to google it.
this one looks nice

Brooklyn Chocolate Stout Ice Cream

2 cups dark beer, such as Brooklyn Chocolate Stout or Guinness
2 cups simple syrup
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar, divided
6 large egg yolks

not sure how you divide sugar though

i think i will make it this arvo with an old bottle of my imperial brown stout and post some pictures here

I've made this one a few times with reasonable success:

<http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2006/01/18/guinness_ice_cream/>

The combination of the Guinness and vanilla bean tastes great. The only problem I've had with is getting it to solidify in the ice-cream machine.

I'm thinking of making a Stout Ice Cream using coopers best extra stout.

and either a beer sorbet or gelato using an APA such as little ceatures or my homebrew for that matter.

I have already made a coopers stout cake, and plan to make a coopers sparkling ale damper and also trial a coopers stout damper.

Food for thought..... mmmm beer and food = excellence!

Will love to hear how other peoples attempts turn out!!!

just had my first taste of the bugger.
followed the instructions to boil down the beer with the syrup first. boiling down the imperial stout for 30mins seemed to create an enormous stink, i mean i love the taste of wort boiling but beer boiling is horrible...
this particular recipe (linked above) has an extremely eggy custardy base which needs some care to avoid making scrambled eggs. but tastes nice and custardy.
just made it in the machine this morning, not fully frozen yet but i had my first taste. i think next time i will use a sweeter stout.... the one i used i brewed with 300g of bittering hops... plus i think age and two hot summers in the cupboard havent been kind to the beer, it's starting to get some vegemitey autolysis flavours. so this one is a bit weird. but i think the concept has merit. the toasty roast barley and brown malt flavours make it like a coffee gelato.

seeing as the roast is the main thing we need out of the beer i think this icecream could be very successfully made with just a tiny steep of say some roast barley, chocolate and crystal malts instead of using actual beer.

two days later... i'm really enjoying this stuff! tastes like eggs on burnt toast... with cream...

stouticecream.jpg

just made some icecream using the recipe i posted above (the brooklyn one) only substituting some of the first runnings of my schwarzbier i'm brewing - i took 500ml and boiled it down to 250ml.

bloody DELICIOUS - no alcohol, hops or yeasty flavours - just pure malty goodness.... tastes like chocolate icecream, with no chocolate involved...

After doing the barleywine last week, i woudlnt mind sacrificing some of the 1st runnings of an upcoming beer to make a malt 'beir' ice cream. kidna like the crystal malt icecream that was made for the ANHC dinner. Just as good would be todo a crystal malt steep/mash, gently boil it down to get thick and viscious and add that to a vanilla custard like icecream base....

Delicious! :icon_drool2:

Even better!
http://videosift.com/video/Egg-and-Bacon-I...ston-Blumenthal

Yesterday... I was just thinking..... why don't I make a stout ice cream. I wonder does anyone have any good recipes? I know there are a few on google, but I thought it would be better if someone on here had made one or tried one and knows the recipe.

Here's one I made. It is friggin' awesome! I also made a Belgian passionfuit beer sorbet that was very nice.

Guinness Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate-Honey Sauce

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002

Makes about 1 Litre

12 ounces Guinness stout
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
6 egg yolks

Directions:
In a large saucepan, simmer the Guinness until reduced by 3/4 in volume, about 8 minutes. Combine the cream, milk, and sugar in a medium, heavy saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pan and add the vanilla bean halves. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.

Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Remove from refrigerator and add the Guinness reduction, whisking until well blended. Pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.

Dark Chocolate-Honey Sauce:
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup honey
20 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, scald cream and honey medium heat. Remove from the heat. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Add the hot cream, let sit for 2 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla. Let stand until cool but still pourable. Serve over Guinness ice cream.

I think lagunitas in the US does a stout floater which is basically stout with icecream in a glass

I think lagunitas in the US does a stout floater which is basically stout with icecream in a glass

Ive been planningon doing taht with a guinness and a good vanilla bean ice cream.

I might give it a crack tonight for desert if i have some icecream with the Foreign Extra Stout i have at home. :icon_drool2:

Since my thread has re-surfaced I will share my beer & ice cream experience. Good to see all the above replies and beery experiments!

Firstly I made a Coopers Stout Ice Cream with grated dark chocolate (Alcoholic) Lovely Mocha, Coffee, rich pudding like...

I then made a malt gelato from scratch using amber liquid malt and Nelson Sauvin Hops.... only I put WAY TOO MUCH Hops in!!! Was very mouth puckering, but the malt taste was nice! It would have been much nicer if I had been more conservative with the hops!

Back