Beer In Co2 Line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcqueen

Reaction score
Just when I thought I was doing all things right. I watched with dismay as I did something stupid....
I have two kegs in a kegorator and one was sitting on gas full at 10 kpi. I legged another brew and connected the gas line and watched the beer from keg 1 flow into the co2 line and into the line of keg2.
So now beer has gotten into both lines and nearly made its way to the regulator but I snatched the lines before it got any further....
So.. Is the beer from keg 2 fucked? I seriously doubt that a small amount into the keg would make a difference. And next is. Will I need to clean all the lines? As there is now beer in all of them.
So not happy :(

I would personally clean them. Or just replace if I had some laying around.

We're you using a t-piece?

Did it get INTO the regulator?

I'd say the beer would be fine - have a taste! If you like it, drink it.. If not say its your VB clone haha

I would personally clean them. Or just replace if I had some laying around.

We're you using a t-piece?

Did it get INTO the regulator?

I'd say the beer would be fine - have a taste! If you like it, drink it.. If not say its your VB clone haha

Nah. Didn't get it in the regulator thank the beer gods!!! Yeah was using a t piece. I'll have to clean them in a few days as getting married on Saturday.
I like the idea of a vb clone.

You'll be right, the regulator didn't get any beer in it, no harm done, other than feeling like a bit of a dill. However, compared to what I did when I first set my keg fridge up, you come across as quite a bit smarter than I.

I had my keg fully gassed, the disconnects attached and then the under performing section of my brain, (which makes up a fairly big part of it) decided it would be a good idea to release the beer line from the disconnect while it is still attached to the keg........... result, a beer geyser, literally spraying beer ALL OVER the walls and the ceiling, IN FRONT of my wife.............it was at this moment she was beginning to question some of the decisions she had made in her life.

Don't feel too bad.

Probabaly better to get new lines, they are not expensive.

Some regulators have a check valve built in - CIG food CO2 units do. For those that don't you can buy a check valve and put it in-line somewhere. It is just a backflow valve and will stop liquid entering the regulator, cheap inurance really.

Steve

A non-return valve or check valve will not stop the beer from coming out of a gassed keg and flowing through the tee to the un-gassed keg. It will only keep the beer from flowing into the regulator.

Sounds as it the regulator may already have the valve (best to check for sure). Sounds also like the gas was off and that is why the beer flowed through the lines and up to the regulator. If the gas was on is should have been flowing out to fill the low pressure keg. At least it should have pushed the beer away from the regulator when the other keg ran out of pressure difference. Still can get beer out of the charged keg if the difference is high.

The only way to keep beer and gas from flowing from a charged keg to a un charged keg is to put check valves on each side of your tee. That is why good quality splitters cost a bunch. They can come with individual valves that have the built in check valve. That way you do not have to disconnect the gas from kegs you want to force carb. Just turn off the valves to the lines you do not need. Also if you have a fitting that leaks when disconnected you can just turn it if and not end up with an empty tank in the morning.

I'm with you Dingo,the only way you can get beer into the gas line is if the level is above the gas dip tube either by over filling or foaming from forced carbing[and not releasing pressure before conecting keg]
what level do you fill to, amc?
a NRV is good peace of mind if you force carb

Invest in a check (NR) valve on each keg. Hurts once, but will save your bacon for years to come. I have only had the beer make it out a post once when I thought I was using a different gas line. I would just hot wash and sanitise your line man. Screw the beverage line guys, invest in some check valves.

Latest posts

Back