Beer In Beijing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
I'm off to Beijing for aworkshop at the start of December. First time for me in the capital, so does anyone have any tips on where I'll find a good beer? Doesn't have to be a pub, can just be a supermarket where I can get some decent take away.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
I'm off to Beijing for aworkshop at the start of December. First time for me in the capital, so does anyone have any tips on where I'll find a good beer? Doesn't have to be a pub, can just be a supermarket where I can get some decent take away.

Cheers
MAH
[post="86638"][/post]​

Get something light. Easier to wash the anti-virals down with <_<
cheers
Darren

Don't worry, there are plenty of both Chinese and imported beers to choose from. They even have Fosters with Fosters girls walking around the bar - I refused to drink it.

The Chinese ones are generally light in colour and you can drink a lot of them. Worth giving them all a good test run. Tsing Tao, Beijing Beer & Ying something are the ones I remember.

If you buy beer in a bar it's relatively expensive (same as here), but dirt cheap in the supermarket or small non english speaking restaurants.

The word for beer is Pi Jiu - said pee-jee-oh. A glass is Bei (BAY like beijing), a bottle is Ping.

So to ask for a bottle (literally one bottle) - "Yi ping pijiu", or a "yi bei pi jiu" for a beer on tap. Just making sure you don't go thirsty.

Check out San li tun (Bar street), and there are a few beers / jazz clubs at Chouyang Park south gate (can't remember the spelling).

Have fun, I'm sure you won't go thirsty. Let me know if you'd like to know more info.

Have fun MAH - just avoid wine with creatures & creature organs floating in it ;) ...

Back