Beer has turned out Flat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penrithbeerclub

Reaction score
I bottled my Standard Coopers Pilsner about 3 weeks ago. I used the yeast it came with during fermention. I opened a few on the weekend and they are flat as a tac, with lots of residual sugar in the beer (obviously from the yeast not eating it up and sh***ing out the bubbles)

Is this a simple result of the yeast not re activating? Perhaps due to temps being too low?

Can I put the bottles on a heater pad, a bit of a shake and will the yeast then reactivate and produce the carbonation i desire??

Besides being flat and a little sweet from the residual sugar, the better was fine and no infection was visible.

My last batch took over a month to carb up because of low temperatures. Put some (I assume bottles?) in the warmest part of the house and see what happens.

Same happened to me recently. Due to cooler weather bottle ferment was a slow process, but time fixed that. If your impatient get them to room temp and wait a week.

well Its western Sydney and its been cold, so Ill just leave them and see what happens

If I want mine to hurry up I stick them in a large plastic tub of water with a fish tank heater in the water set to 18-20.

I try to cram as many as I can in my brewing fridge when it's set to 18C. I can usually stack about 10 bottles around the fermenter and in the door. Leave for about a week and rotate.

Summer brewing is so much easier...

Latest posts

Back